Timothy Geithner interview at the Charlie Rose Show on March 10, 2009.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by SouthAmerica, Mar 11, 2009.

1. first, Rose knows sfa about financials/economics, when he 'interrogated'
    Paulson he didn't get anywhere with him, no 'truths' are revealed by such
    people, they're too well pr coached to flub their message excepting when
    their message is obvious bs

Southamerica, i don't want to watch the interview, i am more interested
    in hearing your opinion about what Geithner had to say

2. I watched about a third of the interview and thought Geithner was full of the usual Washington PR bs.
    These idiots just don't realize the problem is people have no money and NO way to pay for more shit bought with borrowed money!
    It's not a liquidity issue, it's an INSOLVENCY issue!

3. Daal

Daal

His argument on why they are not being effective should shutdown some of his critics. He is being slow compared to WHO?The japanese in 90's, american's in 30's?

The fed got to 0% in a little more than a year(geithner was a voter), the treasury appropriated 5% of GDP for the banking system 1 year into the crisis, they protected fnm and fre
    They are doing fine if you think about it

4. The market thinks his plan for the banks sucks. Isn't it obvious?

5. Daal

Daal

I'm putting things in perspective, since they dont have the legal authority to nationalize banks with 9%+ Tier 1 capital their plan seem just fine

6. time will tell. But the market is speaking volumes. Just look at the move in insurers since he announced his plan.

7. .
    March 12, 2009

SouthAmerica: Reply to Wallace

I did miss the first 15 minutes of his interview and the rest of the show Tim Geithner answered Charlie Rose’s questions with his usual evasive style. If you heard Tim Geithner on other occasions then you know what I am talking about. I did not learn anything new from that particular interview.

I am not the right person for you to ask my opinion about Tim Geithner since I am not an impartial observer – I posted the following on this forum when Barack Obama announced the members of his economic team:

Barack Obama’s New Economic Team
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146345

November 28, 2008

SouthAmerica: I would give Barack Obama’s economic team an A+ grade with just an exception.

You can’t go wrong when you have on your team people such as Paul Volcker.

I am sure that Larry Summers will be a very influential member of his economic team

His nominee for secretary of the Treasury is Tim Geithner, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York for the past five years.

Obama also announced the creation of a President's Economic Recovery Advisory Board - and Paul Volcker will lead this new board.

Basically I have a problem with only one member of his economic team: Tim Geithner.

During the confirmation hearings they should place this guy under a microscope and check out his performance as a president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York for the past five years. They should check a number of things very closely as follows:

1) As a regulator – his relationships with Citi group. (A bank under his supervision went from being the largest bank in the US 2 years ago – to become the latest joke of the US financial system.)

2) This guy played a major role in the demise of Lehman Brothers. He has a close relationship with the Goldman Sacks Mafia Network. The question is: Did Goldman Sacks influence the decision to let Lehman Brothers die such a sudden death? If that is the case such a miscalculation by Tim Geithner caused a global financial Tsunami and he should not be the next US Treasury Secretary.

3) By the way, Tim Geithner has had a very close relationship with the current Treasury Secretary Paulson during this entire financial crisis – and Henry Paulson’s performance, as Treasury Secretary is nothing to write home about it.

In case Tim Geithner confirmation is rejected to be the next US Treasury Secretary then I would suggest that they consider replacing him with Stephen Roach.

March 12, 2009

SouthAmerica: I still think that Barack Obama should replace ASAP: Tim Geithner with Stephen Roach.

Even though I am sure Stephen Roach would not agree with many of my positions such as the immediate complete US government nationalization of the major Zombie banks, and the nationalization of the major 3 auto companies – GM, Ford and Chrysler – consolidate and restructure the 3 automakers into a viable company and privatize the new company – and clean up the balance sheet of the major Zombie banks – restructure them into distinct viable businesses: banks, insurance companies, and other businesses, and privatize the newly health companies ASAP.

Anyway, in my opinion: Stephen Roach probably would be a better Treasury Secretary than Tim Geithner and I would act on that replacement ASAP.