Timemachine feature

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Pekelo, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

Recently I ran into an old thread, and it made me curious. What if I would like to read 3-4 years old posts but not in any particular order or by any particular poster/subject?

If there was a timemachine feature, I could put a date in it, and it would show all the "new" posts on that date. Currently the closest to it is using the search function, but the oldest time is "1 year or older" and I have to put a well used word into the searchfield to get a wide variety of list of posts.

If anybody has a better idea how to browse older posts, I am listening...

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

This is more of a hack than anything else, but when you do a search for a specific term, the results are listed by the time of the last post is descending order. In other words, the threads with the newest posts are shown first.

Once the results page shows up, you can go into the URL bar of your browser and change the actual web address. Specifically you should change the last part of the URL to "ascending" instead of "descending". This will show the oldest posts first, which may be a good starting point for you to check out some of the older stuff.

3. As much as I love a good URL-editing hack, why not simply check the radio button "in ascending order" on the Search screen? :)

4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Exactly. If there were just 1-2 more options, like "2 years or older, 3 years or older,etc." it would be relative easy to go back farer in time...

If the old posts can not be accessed easily, what is the point in keeping them?

So basicly my request is: Could you make the database searchable by date? I think that is a relative easy modification...

5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

That would be too easy.

I forgot about that radio button! LOL :D

6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

No problem. It's done.

7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Thanks.

Now by setting a search up "3 years or older", ascending or descending order and putting a generic word into the searchfield (day, profit, trader) I get a pretty good list of older posts....

8. Thanks, much appreciated and very useful.

Maria