Time to Short Oil

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by libertad, Apr 23, 2006.

1. then short the piss out of it.

#31     Apr 30, 2006
  2. I don't short bull markets, or didn't you read my previous post.

#32     Apr 30, 2006
  3. sorry misunderstood - i thought you were saying you wanted to short silver. my bad. i did read it.

#33     Apr 30, 2006
  4. thank god. FINALLY someone gets it

i get so amazed at the "gold is done" posts, and ditto with oil

i suggest that 99% of people who make these kind of posts cannot and do not understand commodities. commodities are different than stocks. sure, ANY security is moved by one thing and one thing only - supply and demand, however, these are COMMODITIES.

i'm more of a contrarian than most. i love buying weakness and selling strength. however, that is not the same thing as merely saying "well it's up so much and everybody is talking about it, so it HAS to go down"

the contrarian move was to buy gold at 300. not short it

the contrarian move was to buy AAPL under 60, when it sold off.

however, shorting gold/oil here isn't contrarian. it's stupid

#34     Apr 30, 2006
  5. Nope.
    It's just that when I heard talk of the Silver ETF when Gold was doing so good. I immediately thought "now everybody and their brother is going to buy that poor mans gold, and ruin a perfectly good bull market."
    It will take a while, but the johnny come latelys will put the top in the metals market.

#35     Apr 30, 2006

6. Agree! One doesn't make big money by shorting a bull market nor buying into a bear market. They make it by taking big chunks out of the trend of both.

#36     Apr 30, 2006
  7. yes. and buying weakness when everybody is afraid to

everybody HATED gold just a few years ago

that's a good contrarian indicator

#37     May 1, 2006
  8. DrChaos

DrChaos

I think that going short on gold and oil would be timely when there are "trade commodities from home" informercials on TV, like the explosion of such with real estate.

Hasn't happened yet. When gold trading or gold coins are on the lips of your local bartender, get out.

Real estate is now, finally, collapsing, of course.

#38     May 1, 2006
  9. Excellent point!

#39     May 1, 2006
  10. good luck guys. That's what people thought when oil hit $55 back in Oct. 04.

#40     May 1, 2006