Time to profitability

Discussion in 'Trading' started by MakingBank, Oct 13, 2005.

1. masao

masao

The starter of this thread should think about who they're asking this question. People on this forum need or want something. I mean I doubt a trader with a hot chica, a porche and box seats is gonna want to spend his time arguing about stupid shit in here. And if he does he's obviously got issues and you might want to avoid him.

#41     Oct 20, 2005
  2. MINORS

Elite Trader asks that parents supervise their children while online. No information should be posted by minor children without parental consent

Is your daddy holding your lunch money while you type out this post? :D :D :D

This place has gone to the sh*ts when 17 year olds frequent a board that is meant for professional full time traders.

ELITETRADER, YOU SHOULD CHARGE A YEARLY FEE TO RID OF THE RIFF RAFF IN HERE

#42     Oct 20, 2005
  3. Everyone deserve to have their dreams. So if you are a hotshot who never experienced any real drawdown or a minor then listen carefully.

It is not how successful you are during your winning streaks that defines you as a real pro in trading.

It is how you handle losing streaks that defines how good you are.

Many so-called legendary traders who got very good returns thought that they know everything - can blow up in no time. They are what we call walking time bomb. These self pro-claimed pro-traders can be net profitable every year for 10 years or more, but losing all of that plus more in a few months.

Why? They cannot handle losing streaks properly. They do not know how to handle losing streaks.

The funniest thing is - they always thought they have it all figured out and they know what worst case really means. In short, they do not know what worst case analysis means at all.

Market environment changes over time - due to policy changes, worldwide economic environment changes, or just demographic changes. That reflects in the price action a trader deals with everyday. So no matter how good you are, your trading models or trading styles will always have some time that is not in-sync with the market, or worst yet, completely discounted into the market environment.

How you properly handle that defines what you are really made of as a trader.

#43     Oct 20, 2005
  4. mahras2, good work man, keep up the progress.

lot of girls in here talking trash about other traders,

This thread was to ask how long it took you to reach profitability,

not what you think of the people who reached profitability when you are still struggling like dogs.

lol!

Doesn't it feel shitty to know a 17 year old can run over your pitiful and almost non existent returns :D

Don't hate the player, hate the game, You just can't compete, its a good time to bring out that high school diploma or BA in philosphy and become a kindergarden teacher :D

#44     Oct 20, 2005
  5. omniscient

omniscient Guest

1. i've seen more articulation in posts from the 17 year old than i have from many other 'mature' or 'seasoned' ET members

2. being exposed to the markets at a young age is nothing new (JL, etc.)

3. being exposed to the markets at a young age is probably a significant advantage (brain is more malleable, better chance to establish good habits and minimize bad habits, fewer obligations, less fear, less consumed with being right/ego/perfection, etc.)

i guess i just don't see how an early interest in trading qualifies this guy as riff raff ...

oh well, carry on ...

take care :)

omni

#45     Oct 20, 2005
  6. HAHAHAHA and ETF calls other posts riff raff hahahah

funny though :D

#46     Oct 20, 2005
  7. NKNY

NKNY

truer words have never been spoken....

#47     Oct 21, 2005
  8. Hyudra

Hyudra

WORD... just like in poker.

It's truely hard to believe that most of you are winners, since the game that's being played in the market is zero-sum. Especially with plenty of other informed traders out there.

#48     Oct 21, 2005
  9. NKNY

NKNY

Actually, equities are not zero sum...

Nick

#49     Oct 21, 2005
  10. dont

dont

Amen to that, I sometimes think the worst thing that can happen to a trader is to make money from the start, better to struggle and have a few black swans.

Nothing like the gut wrenching, and weird arguments you create when your losses are mounting above anything you thought possible. At the end of that you really understand running your losses and cutting your profits.

#50     Oct 21, 2005