Time to profitability

Discussion in 'Trading' started by MakingBank, Oct 13, 2005.

1. DarioC

DarioC

I was steadily profitable for 6 months, right from the start. Returned several thousand percent (3,000%) and then blew up the whole account in less than a month.

Saved up and started again. Steadily profitable for about 5 months, 800% in the green, then blew up the account. Took 2 months to blow it up the last time.

Note that I was trading options here. Hopefully, lesson learned.

Dealing with options is kind of like dealing with God. Do the right thing and you are bestowed riches and glory. Do the wrong thing and you go the way of the sodomites (buggered then destroyed) ;)

#31     Oct 16, 2005
  2. More like delusion.

#32     Oct 16, 2005
  3. hajimow

hajimow

to Mahras2:

It is hard for me to believe that you are 17. Not that a 17 year old can not be profitable in the market. Even your way of writing says that you should be older. I don't say that you lie. I am just saying that I don't believe that you are 17 and that will not change anything. Keep posting and good luck. If you are 17,is your dad or a close relative a fund manager or ......?

#33     Oct 16, 2005
  4. People like Mahras make me feel like an underachiever ... :(

But power to you if you're 17 and already playing with Monte Carlo simulations.

You might be the next Monroe Trout.

#34     Oct 16, 2005
  5. dis

dis

I think you are blowing hot air: "quantitative methods" do not mix well with "investing and trading philosophy".

#35     Oct 16, 2005
  6. lato

lato

took 6 years
    blew up once,to be exact my account got a haircut lost 3/4 of it but i stopped trading untill i tested everything that wasn't in any of the books a read.Since when somebody is gonna write what works and offer you on the silver platter!!,spend o lot of time watching diffrent mechanical things during market hours.And tested again untill i understood what works,regardless of time frame,that is so rare,but is there,it is just so difficult to see!!!
    After that tested again to find what to do in those rare situations when something happens that does not happen too often,you know what i mean.It comes down to the point knowing when to stop and waiting for next opportunity.Way of thinking also plays a role,i remember how i started to keep to myself everything that i could tell anybody to get some kind of gratification,ego thing.A lot of hard work,a lot of it.
    Never give up,be humble
    try again,
    best regards
    z

#36     Oct 16, 2005
  7. mahras2

mahras2

I would have to disagree. In regards to equities I used quantitative screens looking at both fundamental and technical information to create a list of possible candidates with a statistical edge of success. As fpr FX you could say I take a "trading" approach.

Those who think I am blowing hot air...just go to the Journals section "Systematic FX trading". I have posted my account info as well as daily thoughts there since august.

#37     Oct 16, 2005
  8. mahras2

mahras2

Nope no one in my family has any connections in the investment or trading world what so ever. Well I post at a few college admissions site and SAT prep websites maybe that can change your mind ;). However, I understand your skepticism.

#38     Oct 16, 2005
  9. mahras2

mahras2

Thank you. Good luck on your trading.

#39     Oct 16, 2005
  10. Would you provide a source that better explain this?
    Thanks

#40     Oct 20, 2005