Time to go vega positive?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Hello_Dollars, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Cutten

Cutten

As Maverick said, taking a position on volatility is basically a directional punt on the underlying. So if you think the S&P has topped, then by all means load up on vol, and accept that you will most likely lose if the rally continues. Personally I haven't found I can make much money by fighting an entrenched market trend. I'd rather wait for it to end and reverse, and then make my move.

As for mean reversion - if the market is transitioning from one secular environment (a stock bubble) to another (post-bubble doldrums), then the usual tendency for vol to return to its short-term mean may be completely overwhelmed by the changing big picture and subsequent secular decline in vol. It's just like trading a stock - buying dips makes money, except in a downtrend :p

#21     Nov 9, 2003
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

I am afraid I am going to have to disagree with absolutely everything you just said. Please forgive me.

#22     Nov 9, 2003
  3. You might be right. Good Luck.

#23     Nov 9, 2003
  4. Trajan

Trajan

The difference is that what the quant knows mathmatically, many of us know intuitively. I don't disagree, though, that the edge is going upstairs to these guys. I do have a plan(yeah, I've bean saying this for six months). But vol is a different beast, you can make money with some insight that the market hasn't yet jumped upon and quant guys would have rigid rules that won't neccessarily allow them to adjust because their models don't allow for it.

#24     Nov 9, 2003
  5. Trajan

Trajan

This is absolutely correct. I suggest people not understanding this from Mav go back and reread until you do. It is fundamental to understanding how to trade Vol. That said, I've been trading long straddles for the past six months with pretty darn good succes. I lean long and let it run before hedging. My losses have been small, but profits big based on 50/50 win/loss. Now you know why I recommended that savy TXN trade.

#25     Nov 9, 2003
  6. Trajan

Trajan

I would also add, that for as great the quant guys are, there are floor traders who made a living trading against them. I speak specifically of Timber Hill and Arbitrade. People loved trading against these guys because their machine would go off and they would just start hitting bids and taking offers. They gave a lot of free money away, but that's not the point because both made money from engaing in two different strategies..

#26     Nov 9, 2003
  7. As I mentioned before, Mav could be right. For myself, I would prefer to stand aside from the equities market. Based on my sense of risk management, It is difficult to get paid well enough to take the portfolio risk. This is a subject that Taleb talks about in "Dynamic Hedging" and I've heard other knowledgeable traders (Paul Wilmot for instance) offer similar comments. I've moved over to the commodities markets. Different game to be sure, but one that a good trader can manage. Also you have a different "volatility signature" (it is possible for IV to rise as price rises for instance). One strategy that makes sense in markets like these is outlined in Gallacher's book "The Options Edge". He advocates selling straddles, hedging with options or futures, on a portfolio of markets (8-10 markets depending on season). He shows you what the edge is, and talks about how to handle the downside (hedging). Steve46

#27     Nov 9, 2003
  8. Trajan

Trajan

I almost forgot the original question. There was huge institutional demand for Vol leading up to the Iraq war. I forget the exact numbers(I had a lot of drinks when the person in the know told me this), but I trust the person who said this. Now with the war over and the dawning of the bull market we are reverting to the mean or perhaps to low range. In other words, uncertainty is removed and people aren't big buyers of paper which they needed for a hedge. How low will we go? I say look back to the early/mid 90's for a clue. This is, I think, a sweet spot for vol traders as we are able to make rational forecast of future levels. What many people over look is that IV is a function of supply and demand. People were demanding vol because of uncertainty and now they don't, simple. It doesn't mean that long vol is bad trade, but you have to weigh that against what the underlying is doing and put on the right position.

#28     Nov 9, 2003
  9. Trajan:
    This is one way of looking at IV. Another is the mathematical expression of "persistence". Vol has a way of staying at a level for long periods of time (you probably know that). My comment is simply, if you (or anyone) decide to be long vega, you are going to be subject to theta (rent) and sooner or later, you (the individual trader) will probably find yourself in a position where you can't pay the "rent". On the other side, if you want to sell premium, you can't (my opinion) get paid well enough to make it worth taking the risk in the equities markets. For me this isn't the time to be long options vega. If I want to be long vega, seems to me it is better (easier to control risk, cheaper to transact, better returns) to buy and/or sell equities outright.

#29     Nov 9, 2003
  10. Trajan

Trajan

Sigh, I don't disagree with you. It would be great if commodities were electronically traded. Equities can be very event oriented which is why I am seeking to be able to diversify. I'm getting leverage so as to put on positions in multiple stocks. I'm right now trading only 1, 2 or 3 stocks at a time because of retail margin rules(often only 1 is actively trade), but I need to trade a lot more to spread risk.

#30     Nov 9, 2003