time projections, time triggers?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by 50 cent, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Walther, so far not accurately at the times you specified. I am trading classic chart patterns, mainly I like pullbacks to bases. No indicators, just price/volume/time. trendlines/fibs are good for visualization of the price movement.
    I noticed that I could perhaps make more accurate use of the time factor. So I'm still looking into it.. but I couldn't see exact triggers so far at the times you specified.

Thanks!... will keep you updated

#11     Jul 25, 2003
  2. You can see that times posted were accurate so I would suggest to develop additional method to the one you have now. If you want to daytrade .
    Walter

#12     Jul 25, 2003
  3. damir00

damir00 Guest

i use time-based stops. positions only allowed "so long" to get profitable, and then they're dumped, win lose or draw.

#13     Jul 25, 2003
  4. bubba7

bubba7

Early on people chose the "X" axis as they did out of convenience to make the "money making" axis "display" stuff.

The posts so far point out that "time" can be used to define what people most often do: set ups. The second most basic one you have ask us to refrain from addressing.

The most important time considerations have to do with minimizing risk. Another set of considerations have to do with making money. You can also deal with these sets of considerations by going from the general to the specific. I'll do that here.

One caveat. By watching the financial industry behave, you also are looking at time. All of the when questions tell you a great deal. Often, in casual chat topics come up about what will they do next?

Very General:

1. When did the IBD first include the 200 day volume moving average?

2. When did the WSJ first include the 200 day volume moving average?

3. When did Pring change the defaults on RSI?

4. When did Qcharts add the Accumulation/Distribution indicator?

5. What book published a comprehensive new set of indicator defaults after the advent of the PC?

Risk minimization considerations to trigger change (your limitation is trends) in specific time frames. Ranked by importance.

1. The biggest time consideration involves three questions. Having the answers to these is flat out a major help with the timing variable. The Q's are with respect to the investment cycle:

Where are we (in the cycle)? What is next? and How fast are things changing?

I use a measure to get all answers at once. I use the scoring (See my journal). The scores go 7, 6,5,4,3,2,1,0,7,6. They divide the cycle into 8 zones. This is where the title of the journal came from. In effect by ansering these three Q's all the time, you get the financial news before it appeares in the paper, on TV and radio. the third question is a money making one but I put it here for convenience as I do this run on copy.

2. Trading where the cycle for making money is best.

Until you get to the place where money is made you don't make very much. There is a timing choice I use timing durations that are spead across the spectrum. going from short to long: 1m, 5m, 30m, daily, weekly, monthly,quarterly.

a. equities: daily (evening analysis and sorting); 30m trading;5m anticipation.
    b. futures indexes: Daily (To set the IT channel); 5m trading; 1min anticipation.

I use an efficiency test the apply the compound interest formula to the market and myself. The Exponent is the key to making money and it is a timing function.

3. You can see that I use fractal pairs. The shorted duration allows you to, at all time, anticipate the timing on the trading longer duration fractal.

4. Market Pace. Time is used to determine the market paces. Risk varies most marketedly as a consequence of the market pace. you must know by timing considerations the market pace.

5. Protection. No one past beginner exits on stops; that is understood and well known. You always keep protection at hand and you use the 4. market Pace the determine the tightness.

You C&R your stops by determining the interval and writting the times out in advance.

The values are detmined by logging the market values that micro formations give you. (use stalls, hitches and dips on your trading fractal or its anticipatory next faster fractal. how far from the last logged value you use is determined by the timing pace you have in force. I use 2 back for fast pace, 3 back for normal pace and 4 back for slow pace.

Money making considerations to trigger change (your limitation is trends) in specific time frames. Timing is everything; it is the most important variable for making money.

1. The foundation of making money is using it. One maths equation provides the foundation. The compound interest formula whose most powerful variable is the timing exponent.

a. You optimize the cycle duration against the profit per cycle for all seven of the trading fractals citied bove.

b. You optimize, through timing of trades, your approach to trading.

2. Equities: I trade the 6 to 8 day cycle. I chose it because it is best defined in time (most market efficient).

a. I analyze in the evening to pick a short list of stocks that will BO the next day (this is a slow motion timing thing done with just daily data).

b. I use a money velocity timing method to switch stocks (exit one and enter another). As the time rate of making profits peaks and then begins to decline, I turn to my short list od stocks that will be breaking out. As they BO and gain higher money velocity (increasing rate of profit making) I wait until both approach being equal, then I use timing to make the switch.

c. Because I trade in large share holdings (100,000 shares max in 30 dollar range), I do many partial trades to fill the exit then entry. The entry size of blacks ratio is 20 to 30. More to get out after profit and it deals with timing also).

3. futures indexes: I trade the timing on the 5 min fractal. Three to five trades a day forbig chunks and I slalom the rest of the day.
    Yourequire that we refrain from considering parts of day as a timing comment so i will work around that.

a. Do not trade in any market until its components are in sync. This is a timing issue based on the mathematics of "end effects"
    for people who are not conscious of synchronicity in the market, just do not trae before 20 minutes after open. The indexes will be in synch by that time after the overnight news is absorbed.

b. timing tells you when the market is viable. Below a certain vitality the markets do not work for most peoples methods. time based occurrances in sequences of signals tell you this. Noise is measured using time. You measure time between what is and isn't happening. As the intervals between stuff get longer, the market is telling you all you are seeing is noise: stay out.

c. The big three CCC. trends fail at S and R. the timing the market gives you after that is all you need to slalom. this is the opposite of being whipsawed during CCC. Congestion, convergence and centering. There is a frequency of the oscillation. You use a reversal strategy here and just slalom ahead of the scalpers. The slalom ends about half way through convegence. youmust exit by seeing this phenomena which stops giving you indicator sgnals. You know to bracket in upon centering to take the BO or the BO failure retracement. You slaom in BO failure and make money both ways.

3. fractal pairs are used to trade the slow and anticipate on the fast.

a. All money making goes through sequences of events over time. you use time to click off each step of the process by reading through the list of events that are going to come up. As each one does you simply check it off and stay in the trade. the time spent examining each step is split between the two fractals. it is all slow motion because you are continually ahead of the beat.

b. Market rythms. You use timing to determine from the IT trerm on down to know whether the even or odd harmonics are driving the market. These affect all shorter duration fractals.

(1) Odd harmonics clues: single peaks and troughs, head and shoulders; symmetricpennants in faster fractals

(2) Even harmonics: twin peaking days; Double tops and bottoms; step formations and FTP and FBP on feaster fractals.

(3) choice of market tools. The market dictates the trading tools you use at any given time. The rythms are the basis for this.

This post is limited by the space ET allows for a post.

#14     Jul 25, 2003