Time for Colin Powell to step down

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Apr 27, 2003.

1. It would be the best thing that could happen for France, but we don't need any more nation-building projects with third world muslim countries.

#21     Apr 29, 2003
  2. :D glad we agree on something...

#22     Apr 29, 2003
  3. bungrider,

Were you born in the US? You sound so much like those "leave my sandbox alone, but I'll sue if you try to deport my ass" types.

I was just curious, since you hate this country so much, why you don't just leave and go someplace better.

#23     Apr 30, 2003
  4. Rs8.5

Rs8.5

WHAT???

Bung hates this country? What are you talking about????
    It amazes me sometimes what I read on this site!!! But this is really over the top!

As far as Powell; Magna, Babak, and so many others have expressed their views beautifully.

I have had the honor of meeting the Good General and speaking one on one to him very briefly but listening to him speak for well over an hour to a large audience at a fund raiser for the Anti Defamation League in 1998. This man is a genuine man of honor, integrity, intelligence, wit, humor, values, diligence, etc., and is perhaps THE most definitive example I ever knew of as to a "real Born in the USA kind of guy" of all Americans in public service today. A poor black boy from the Bronx who rose to be the highest ranking member of the United States Military, and then be aggressively pursued by President Bush to be his Secretary of State....certainly the second most important job in our Federal government. (Except maybe a few days a year when Greenspan seems to hold that title:))

If he disagrees with Rumsfeld, so what? Even if he is wrong about everything (and I don't think he is wrong about ANYTHING when expressing his differences with Rumsfeld, Cheney, and the other "chicken hawks"), again, so what? As Babak said in his own words, we do not want, or would we ever benefit from a Cabinet of "yes men".

And Bung is a true American. Guys like Bung give my fading hope a boost on occasion. There is a hell of a lot of space between Hapaboy, AAA, Max 401 on one extreme (sorry for those I have not mentioned, you are all good right wing conservatives, so please don't be offended if I omitted you by name), and Wild/Msfe, and to a lesser degree, Alfonso on the other side. The REAL Americans are those that are open to discussion, debate and accept the differences among us. Like Bung!..... Show me where he EVER said anything "unpatriotic" let alone where he indicated that he "hates" this country. Absurd!!! Madison, Optional777, and Tampa are a few others that come to mind as voices of reason. Do they agree among themselves? Not necessarily. Certainly not in "lock step" (a term used in this tread quite fittingly). But that is what Americans are supposed to be like. They, and and so many others, like Babak and Magna, do have true American values. They understand it is NOT UNPATRIOTIC to voice dissent. It is COMPLETELY UNPATRIOTIC to believe dissent is equivalent in any way to "sedition" as MondoTrader would have us believe. To me, he is less of a Patriot, and less an American in spirit, than perhaps anyone here. (excluding of course, Wild/msfe). Mondo wraps himself in the Stars and Stripes, and probably dresses as the Statue of Liberty on Halloween. At least wild/msfe admits to being anti-american. (or more accurately, he likes to quote anti-american sentiment....we don't know what he really thinks. He may be a just a "paste and cut" robot, and not think one way or another. Just happens to be programmed to find annoying and very long and boring anti american articles to quote. (with an exception just recently..he quoted Maureen Dowd....must have a glitch in his program!!!)

So while Max and Hapaboy and AAA and company are true Ameirican with a "right slant", they are indeed honorable men and patriotic. As are Bung and those with a more "left slant". Only an admitted Hater of America like MSFE is a complete misfit politcally (to us Americans). And Mondo....well, I know he believes he is a patriot. But in reality, he is just a mental case that can wake up tomorrow and be a Marxist or a Martian. So I wouldn't want to classify his politics except to say he is NOT an American Patriot. I just wonder what he is???:confused:

Peace,
    :)Rs8.5

#24     May 1, 2003