tight stop really work?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by 0008, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Not sure I completely understand where you are going with this

regards
    f9

#71     Dec 10, 2008
  2. DrEvil

DrEvil

"Positions established must be reduced and removed until or unless the market proves the position correct" - Phantom of the Pits.

If you are struggling with stop placement this is a rule to live by. Don't wait for the market to prove your position wrong! If the position isn't correct get out with a small loss or small gain.

It doesn't matter whether you are day trading, swing trading or position trading this rule will help you keep your loses minimal. I always have a hard stop in as a backup (more of an emergency stop) and would only not constitute a significant loss if the market runs against me.

#72     Dec 10, 2008
  3. Here is a thought for the devotees to this thread.

Some Posters are adamant that stops should be outside the 'noise'

Does this mean that they wish to have a change of trend take out their stop.

regards
    f9

#73     Dec 11, 2008
  4. noise is a good thing, forex has less noise and trends well, but that means when you're on the wrong side of the trend and large stop you lose out. In example S&P futures trends less, so when you're on the wrong side it's easy to correct your losses

#74     Dec 11, 2008
  5. "Noise" is subjective. Some pairs have 50-100 pips as "noise".
    What's your comfort level?

#75     Dec 11, 2008
  6. I don't know what noise is quite frankly.

I do know that one man's noise is another man's Ferrari.

regards
    f9

#76     Dec 11, 2008
  7. It's "noise" if price doesn't hit your stop, and you profit.
    It's a "spike" if your stop is taken out, you blame the broker and lose a couple $.:p

#77     Dec 11, 2008
  8. very good.

regards
    f9

#78     Dec 11, 2008