Tiger Woods - your perception

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ticktaker, Apr 14, 2010.

1. I feel the same way. Tiger's one and only mistake was getting married.

I used to think of Tiger as just some stupid golf nerd, spending all day and night on the course. Now I see him as someone I would love to hang out with on a Saturday night at parties.

#11     Apr 15, 2010
  2. Letterman is the man. He handled that "scandal" extremely well. He was straight up about what he did, and then made fun of himself for a while. Never hid anything. Letterman rules.

#12     Apr 15, 2010
  3. He should have been a man about it and told his wife he wants an open marriage. Nothing wrong with a swinging lifestyle if its disclosed... people adjust. He's competitive, loaded and on the road 36 weeks a year.. What do you thinks gonna happen?

His deception, lying, cheating has damaged his persona... now if he was a man about it and Elin bi... She'd have stated they have an open relationship and she too would have enjoyed the tryst.

He'd have been every man's hero instead of every woman's heel.

#13     Apr 15, 2010
  4. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

I took up golf at age 12 and was playing scratch golf by age 17. I also grew up caddieing at a country club and even caddied in one of the Big 4 events (prior to the tour allowing tour caddies at these events). So I understand golf etiquette. I also grew up in the 70's with Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, Watson, etc. Players back then respected the game. Their emotions were kept more in check.

Today the game has changed. Players act like immature spoiled brats. Profanity abounds. They throw clubs. Not just Tiger but clearly he's under the microscope the most due to his standing in golf.

Tiger has helped the game if you look at it from a financial perspective. You have more golf fans -- no, make that more people at PGA events. Sadly, many don't know a 2 iron from a wedge. Many are there to drink beer, yell "go in the hole" when Tiger tees off on a par 5 and generally show their lack of golf etiquette. But the financial gain for the tour is big. And we'll likely continue to see Tiger fans at events he plays in.

On the flip side Tiger is an embarrassment when he swears and throws clubs. Little kids attending a tournament don't need to see such behavior. It suggests that is acceptable behavior on the course and kids will emulate this. Funny, how Tom Watson didn't blow up last summer when the British Open slipped away from him on the 72nd hole and the eventual playoff.

#14     Apr 15, 2010
  5. Cassie

Cassie

+1

I personally don't believe in swinging, but I absolutely agree he should have taken that approach first.

Have you guys seen some of the women he was with? They were mostly skanks compared to his wife. Besides, she gave up her modeling career to have HIS kids and stay at home with them. LAME

I lost all respect for him as a man, he is still a good golfer though.

#15     Apr 15, 2010
  6. jem

jem

I think his new swing is sort of hideous.

On some swings he dives into the ball and then he sort of rotates his shoulder around in a less than graceful manner on plenty of shots.

After I pointed out the dive my brother (who is a pga pro - teaching) mentioned that the dive could be the reason he is "stuck". (which is different than the old reason he got stuck)

The dive seems to be a compensation for his left leg problems. His seems to be afraid or unable to hit against a firm left side at times.

He may never be the same player again... he might win... but I miss watching the old swing.

I suspect the therapy thing is mostly b.s. His body needs time to recover.

#16     Apr 15, 2010
  7. Believe it....it happens.

#17     Apr 15, 2010
  8. Cassie

Cassie

LOL Ugh yeah, thanks for informing me on that. I KNOW. I said "I", as in I DON'T DO IT...my neighbors are swingers and have huge parties all the time- it's rather disgusting to me, BUT that's just MY OPINION. :D

#18     Apr 15, 2010
  9. Here's a thought. Tiger should be himself and act like the complete arrogant prick he really is, both on and off the course. There was an article about this on espn.com today.

Why should he say he's going to change his ways? Do we have any reason to believe him? He is the one who brought this self imposed 'behavioral change' upon himself, only to go out at the Masters acting like a bigger cry baby than I've seen in the past. Don't make more promises to fans that you aren't going to deliver. It's obvious he isn't the person both the media and himself had portrayed him to be prior to the unraveling on Thanksgiving.

Why do the Nike commercial with his dad's voice in the background? Why bother attempting to be fan friendly? Why stay married? Is it all for endorsement money? The thing is, I saw the change. The way people look at him. The way he looks back. His image is tarnished, but not his golf game. Be the Barry Bonds of golf. Be yourself. I truly believe he is trying to portray himself as someone he is not, nor ever will be.

#19     Apr 15, 2010
  10. :D

#20     Apr 15, 2010