TickZOOM Decision. Open Source and FREE!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by greaterreturn, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You hit the nail on the head exactly!

That's the fair exchange desired.

- Wayne

#271     Jan 5, 2009
  2. Hopefully people see my personality is such that this will work--and work long term.

What really makes Linux work more than all the legal mumbo jumbo is the personality of Linus, the creator, and his vision.

FYI, he makes negative comments about GPLv3 for technical reasons which got me nervous about it too. He hates it and will stick to the GPLv2.

What makes Microsoft work has always been the personality and vision of Bill Gates (even if many of us disagree with his monopolistic vision).

What makes GNU and FSF work is the personality of Richard Stallman.

Well this source code movement is still very new, leaves a lot to be desired due to the polarity.

So maybe the "full source" idea can work or even become a new movement in the industry. Who knows?

But there has to be a "middle ground" between the religious zeal of FSF and the greedy monopoly of closed source.

I recognize full source might not be perfect either. But we can tweak it and make it better.

Sincerely,
    Wayne

#272     Jan 5, 2009
  3. Wayne,

Perhaps I misunderstood the license. But according to your last few posts with the addition of the ability to fork if it goes closed source, it seems to do what is needed to remove the fears I had.

So I am satisfied at this point. I appreciate your ability to compromise on this.

Thanks

#273     Jan 5, 2009
  4. Okay, I'm glad. Wayne I still welcome other thoughts. But now I'm going to focus this evening on doing "the deed".

Why do I feel nervous?

Sincerely,
    Wayne

#274     Jan 5, 2009
  5. Hey, maybe I confused you about derivative works.

Probably more accurately it does allow you to make a derivative work but simply disallows you distributing that.

NOTE: On further thought, I think technically it disallows you distributing your changes to anybody (even other legitimate users).

However, my intention is for legitimate users to share. So you raised a good point. I need to see how to get it to cover all the stuff needed.

I'll take all these concerns and the closed source concern to the attorney to draft a better version.

Meanwhile I will release it right away with the current version.

That's because I want to prove to potential users that I keep my word as to release dates (at least pretty closely), etc.

And I want to avoid getting accused of stalling or vaporware.

Sincerely,
    Wayne

#275     Jan 5, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.