TICK/TRIN , not as useful once you advance into an advanced trader???

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by coolweb, Aug 6, 2005.

1. I'm not sure about that. chasinfla used to post some good stuff on VIX, TICK, TRIN, and short interest on the NYSE. If you pull some of it up, you'll might see some long term apps.

#11     Aug 7, 2005
  2. wdscott

wdscott

Intra-day Trading

TRIN – For me this indicator has become too difficult to read intraday within the last few years. I’m not sure why but I believe it to be the result of so many closed end funds trading on the NYSE. Currently CE funds might be 1/3 to ½ of all issues being traded. These traded CE equities, many of which are Bond, Utility, and Commodity related, skew the TRIN by commingling the volume and the advancing /declining issues of both Stocks and CE Funds thus diluting the actual pure Stock readings which this indicator was originally designed.

TICK – I think about this indicators usage in a couple of ways. First, I like to use it as for wholesale/retail purchase and sale levels. I am always mindful of where the TICK is, where it was, and what the TICK/Price correlation has been.

Second, if you have difficulty defining the trend in whatever fractal (time frame) you trade, this indicator might do more harm than good. Do you really want to buy that –1000 reading? If you cannot define the trend, buying that –1000 might be the beginning of a rather disastrous day. I know.

Third, the TICK and TRIN are not primary indicators. They are a secondary set of tools. Many articles are written in S&C magazine about these indicators as primary edge and trading system decision tools. They are not. I don’t think you will have great success designing a system utilizing only the TICK. But that’s my personal opinion.

All said the TICK is a very powerful indicator. For discretionary intraday traders, it is a must.

Best Regards,
    Dave

#12     Aug 7, 2005
  3. I would not be out them. I do not use as predicitive, only to indicate market tone.

I use TICK, NYSE TRIN and Nasdaq TRIN.

#13     Aug 7, 2005
  4. its useful sometimes because u cant look at 1000 stocks at the same time, so this is a good conglomarate indicator... but like most "averages" they are prone to errors

#14     Aug 7, 2005
  5. duard

duard

TIKI or TICK are fine adjustments.

Market breadth A/D lines are course adjustments.

HH or LL on hourly, daily, and weekly charts define trend.

This is OHLC.

The rest is event or "news" trading where perturbations to the "trend" occur.

#15     Aug 9, 2005
  6. the nyse tick was very useful today for showing the lack of strength in several small es up trends. if you watch the nyse tick in a chart form during your hand trading you may find it useful for whatever system you trade----------try it once.

i see the current SFO magazine has an article about the tick useage in a chart form-----check it out.

#16     Aug 9, 2005
  7. Sundog

Sundog

Just add up the cumulative tick on a tick by tick basis with tradestation, etc. and trade the divergence between the future and the tick chart. This is a great edge !

Cheers

Sundog

P.S. Use Prem to buy below fair value (vice versa) for entry.

#17     Aug 9, 2005