Tick size reduction for 5- and 30-Year U.S. Treasury contracts

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by BondTrader50, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Is there any email address for Robin Ross, too?

#21     Jan 15, 2008
  2. Robin S. Ross
    Managing Director, Interest Rate Products
    CME Group
    20 S. Wacker Drive
    Chicago, IL 60606
    cmegroup.com

Robin.Ross@cmegroup.com
    T (312) 559-4989
    F (312) 930-8219

#22     Jan 16, 2008
  3. I would have quit a couple of years ago also it did suck but it is back with a vengeance! The intra-day range is much bigger from this summer's increase in vol, now I am taking out 10 ticks on some trades! That used to be the whole day range a couple of years ago! That was during boring Alan, now we got Bumbling Ben!

#23     Jan 16, 2008

4. now your ten ticks will yield you half the profits, unless you can sit on it for a move of 20 ticks,

volatility is great lately, although now i cant trade more than 100 lot without getting partialled

#24     Jan 16, 2008
  5. agreed, size over 100 means taking heat you don't want to take now or you could get ripped out 4-5 ticks real fast...like the TAF bullsh$t release or when Kohn speaks or ABAC or MBIA news stories spin the mkt out of control.

#25     Jan 16, 2008
  6. More info:

The reason for the move to 1/2's and 1/4's is to get these contracts in line with the cash market.

Since this came out of nowhere (like the new exchange announcement) and the cash and the futures haven't been in line for years, this may be a preemptive strike by the CME against the new exchange.

The new exchange mentioned espeed as its platform provider... which of course is where you trade the cash market. hmm

Let the games begin.

#26     Jan 17, 2008
  7. How old are you guy's? 20? This is nothing new.

When the 10 year and ED's went to half ticks back in the late 90's did it help or did it hurt volume?

I'll answer. Volume mushroomed. Yes BondTrader50, it's because cash trades at the "plus" and the new exchange will certainly trade at halves.

#27     Jan 17, 2008
  8. Old enough. 10 yrs went half in 99. But that was in the pit days. Whole different environment now.

#28     Jan 17, 2008
  9. TGM

TGM

Volume should mushroom on Bonds. BUT it may not. There are more than a few traders/institutions that like it the way it is. I am guessing that the new exchange has more to do with it than what traders want (as a previous poster pointed out).

I curious to see how Globex is going to change the look of my tick charts for Bonds and Notes (More ticks). This type of half tick thing does not effect my style of trading. It will mess with scalpers and arbs and bring in more machines. Swing traders should not be hurt.

#29     Jan 17, 2008