Tick or Time

Discussion in 'Trading' started by CONR, Feb 3, 2006.

1. 9999

Hello Jerry,
    would it be possible to have the volume charts to be the same as bar charts or candlesticks?
    Thank you for such a great piece of software.

#21     Feb 9, 2006
  2. Not sure what you mean. Same in what sense? Volume charts can be shown as OHLC or Candlestick already.

#22     Feb 9, 2006
  3. 9999

Yes,
    but it looks to me like your version is time-dependent, while the one I use is not. Have to go now, I'll try to send you a pic later.

#23     Feb 9, 2006
  4. At this point I cannot say if ESignal is breaking volume bars out incorrectly but they definitely have an issue with tick and volume bars.

The volume / tick bars I see with live data during the day is not the same data I see at the end of the day. Also, if I refresh my charts the data changes.

I am looking to switch vendors but if all vendors are having similar problems (live data is different than historical data) then that would be no better.

I am going to try and get a hold of a TradeStation technical person to verify they are not having similar issues.

OU812

#24     Feb 12, 2006
  5. 9999

According to Jerry Medved, the issue is with ESignal, which gives volume delayed and not in real time. If I remember correctly, this has been an outstanding problem for several years, and still has not been resolved.

#25     Feb 12, 2006
  6. Well hopefully I can find a data vendor that does not have these same issues with volume / tick bars.

Does anyone know if TradeStation correctly plots volume / tick bars? If not, any recommendations anyone?

Thanks

#26     Feb 12, 2006
  7. Tradestation definitely does not do Volume Bar Charts correctly in their own charts. Their data is as good as most but it needs to be run through charting software that builds the bars correctly. MultiCharts deciphers Tradestation data correctly. Esignal does it right and so does Ensign using Esignal Data. I was told QuoteTracker builds them correctly too.

No one builds Tick Charts correctly anymore since GLOBEX destroyed the "Constant Tick" increments.

Someone asked earlier, Candlestick consistency is finally achieved with correctly built Volume Bar Charts because there is no variance in the data. There was a variance in the data using Minute Charts or Ticks Charts due to the different servers used. Now someone needs to develop Voice Recognition software to "READ" the Sticks . . . lol

#27     Feb 12, 2006
  8. Not Delayed. What I was referring to is that Intraday cumulative volume is not updated at all and QT needs that.

#28     Feb 12, 2006
  9. 9999

Thank you, Jerry.
    I stand corrected.

#29     Feb 12, 2006
  10. j_medved,

I have a couple of questions about Quote Tracker. Does it allow custom indicators to be created?

Also, I see that the software connects to multiple data feeds which is a very nice feature. Would you recommend one provider over another as far the problem I mentioned earlier in this thread involving esignal and their live data for volume bars not displaying correctly (only correct with historical data)?

Thanks

#30     Feb 13, 2006