Tick or Time

Discussion in 'Trading' started by CONR, Feb 3, 2006.

1. K-Rock

K-Rock

I hope your wrong about this. It could badly affect my setup. However, if Esignal does modify it, I wish it will notify users in advance.

#11     Feb 5, 2006
  2. K-Rock

K-Rock

I recently switched from tick charts to volume charts because of standard concerns.

#12     Feb 5, 2006
  3. They both work. Pick the one that works best for you.

#13     Feb 5, 2006
  4. Cheese

Cheese

As you say yourself, you "use candles when the lights go out." Do you use anything else to stick up your arsehole?
    :)

#14     Feb 5, 2006
  5. Cheese

Cheese

Use Ensign software.
    Just choose the volume you want for each bar.
    :)

#15     Feb 5, 2006
  6. Ask QuoteTracker if they "Cap" each bar to the the specific number of bars requested.

The number of bars is the "1000 dollar" question. It took me a long time to come up with a consistent number of bars to view Intraday, Swing, Position & Long Term increments but it was worth the wait.

#16     Feb 5, 2006
  7. QuoteTracker volume charts let you specify the volume for each chart. QT does set a minimum value based on the overall volume (otherwise you could have a million bars, which would kill your CPU).

#17     Feb 5, 2006
  8. I understand but the way most charting software companies mess up the volume bars are:

Let's say you designate each bar being 500 contracts or shares each and the current bar is 450 units. The next tick in the ppeline is 100 units. Most charting software just tacks those 100 units onto that bar and start the next bar. This is wrong. They should put 50 units on that last bar and begin a new bar with the remaining 50 units. It isn't hard to do it right but most companies are lazy.

#18     Feb 5, 2006
  9. QuoteTracker would break up the last order into 50 / 50 the way it is supposed to be.

#19     Feb 5, 2006
  10. K-Rock

K-Rock

It looks like Esignal is properly constructing constant volume bars according to the following reference:

"...For example, to create a 1000 contracts per bar bar chart (meaning you want the bar to fill with 1000 contracts or shares before starting a new bar ) you will have to enter 1000V.

For any number of shares traded higher than the specified interval, the trade will be split among multiple Volume Bars."

http://kb.esignalcentral.com/display/2/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=1275&r=0.3567926

#20     Feb 5, 2006