Tick Data

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by trader12, Aug 10, 2012.

1. dom993

dom993

There is only 2 kind of intraday data ... "minute-data" which is conveyed as 1-min bars, and then aggregated & displayed by the charting software as you ask it to do for any minute chart, and tick-data, which is transaction by transaction (price + volume), and aggregated by your charting software to provide whatever other type of chart (tick / volume / range / second)

So you'll be all-right using IQfeed no matter what type of chart you use.

But again, you just can't use IB datafeed for charting. Unless you are doing end-of-day charting (even that, I am not sure!)

#11     Aug 13, 2012
  2. codeine

codeine

I'm not sure if this is exactly relevant to the OPs question, but I think it's possible to use eSignal's data with IB TWS, if that is what you're looking for.

See attached screenshot of TWS Global Configuration screen:

Also, it would seem to confirm that 10 updates/second for market data is what the feed is limited to, as it mentions that anything more than that will "degrade system performance." Whether that means on the client side (your PC) or server side (wherever the market data is coming from), I don't know..

I guess this reply is more of a question than an answer.. :confused:

I haven't done enough research to know if eSignal provides tick-by-tick data or snapshot data.

#12     Aug 14, 2012
  3. trader12

trader12

Thank you so much for that detailed explanation.

I will check out IQ feed.

#13     Aug 14, 2012