Tick Charts

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by zdawg164, May 27, 2008.

1. Anyone use them? Especially for futures? What is your experience with them, because they've done wonders for my trading

2. Baywolf

Baywolf

tick charts sure do look smoother. But I prefer a time-fixed x-axis. Or minutes chart for visual, and tick chart for auto-execution.

3. astral

astral

or we talking about true tick or range charts?

The OTR charts are extremely helpful. When you set them to the minimum spread of the instrument, and you add Times and sales to it. You actually see the market quite well. There's more to add, but this should fit quite well.

4. zd - what settings are you using on futures for them?

5. cd23

cd23

I agree.

The OTR patterns are huge tells for the T&S and the DOM.

Fine tuning turns does come up at a certain point in trading. when a trader gets to that point the OTR pattern sequences become very helpful.

For those who watch premium drift and also incorporate the smart money trading into the momentary premium spread (stretch and squeese) dynamic, the next part of the sequence is the "end effects" patterns of the OTR tick P, V charts.

On the DOM, you get to see just why the turn comes where it does as the wall cannot be breached and many orders are left at the gate after the turn occurs.

the OTR is a very good tool for demonstrating the differences between quant and qual type monitoring, analysis, decision making and action. Quant focusses a lot on the mean and does not regard the extremes quantitatively. On the other hand qual focusses on the "end effects" of moves where the more pertinent decisions are made with respect to extracting profits.

OTR is not something to focus on at all times, especially when trending is occurring. As trends come towards end effects as measured by coarse and medium grade tooling, then comes the time to steer over to the fine measures and use data sets invloving the S/S, OTR, DOM and T&S.

This is the time when the counterintuitive aspects of the markets are most prevalent. For example, these are the times when the minority control is most clearly demonstrated. As the minority side of the market is eaten away by market orders in the direction of the trend, the majority limit orders are left at the gate and the market continualy moves away from these large accumulated limit orders. Another example is the cascading of orders on news. While usually, news only precipitates one cascade, FOMC announcements at 2:07 (8 minutes before the "official" time) do precipitate three cascades. Since they are odd harmonics (triangular wave forms), the reversals of the cascades are spike type formations. The OTR P, V chart for sequences of cascades is a very good fine indicator of the phenomena.

At one time, before modern displays, it was a good idea to be on the phone during each of the reversals of the FOMC cascades. The guys running the cards knew that some traders knew this and so if a connection was needed, it sometimes originated by the floor as they liked to be connected on the turn for the benefit of their accounts. There was a rhythm then that was human based and the phone provided the initial timing usually from the trader to the floor but sometimes the other way around (based on noise at the time). Now, we have PC's and we have data feeds so it is more of an electronic trading modus and the days of voice recognition are long gone.

6. astral

astral

Your comment is very well appreciated, Jack

I have one question though, when you talk about 2pairs and Spikes is this where you refer too? I'm getting more calibrated day by day. It just suddenly got my attention this pattern. I wonder what you think if this.:)