Tick Charts vs. Time Charts

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by aphexcoil, Sep 9, 2002.

1. So much for my profitable system!

#41     Sep 12, 2002
  2. coops

coops

:eek: indeed.... mind you just checked for what the latest release was and found a 1 week later 7.1 Beta release 2 than the one i'm using....maybe i'll stick with it....:confused:

oh well.

coops

#42     Sep 12, 2002
  3. Aphex,

I heard Romania is really nice. I mean there's beautiful women all over Europe, but I heard some interesting stories about Romania. Yea you got red light districts, but you have to pay for those. I heard of older Americans getting teenagers for free in Romania.... like two at one time. Just a suggestion.

Also, I noticed a quote from Lord of the Rings. do you know when the next movie comes out?

grazie,
    Andy

#43     Sep 18, 2002
  4. The release date is Christmas day of this year. Here are the other movies coming out during December (good movie month this year!):

• The 25th Hour
    • About Schmidt
    • Adaptation
    • Analyze That
    • Antwone Fisher
    • Blind Spot: Hitler's Secretary
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • Cet Amour-La
    • Chicago
    • Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
    • Doctor Sleep
    • Down and Out With the Dolls
    • Equilibrium
    • Evelyn
    • A Few Good Years
    • Gangs of New York
    • Gods and Generals
    • The Hot Chick
    • The Hours
    • The Life of David Gale
    • The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    • Love Liza
    • Maid in Manhattan
    • Max
    • Narc
    • Nicholas Nickleby
    • The Pianist
    • Pinocchio
    • Star Trek: Nemesis
    • Stevie
    • The Tunnel
    • Two Weeks Notice
    • The Wild Thornberrys

#44     Sep 18, 2002
  5. I'll be in the states by then. Hmm.. I don't think I'll have much time to watch movies that month. I just saw Lord of the Rings a few weeks ago, and I'm anxious to know what happens next. I know there's a book, but I'd rather read other things. I know it appears I have a dirty mind, so no not that kind of reading material.

Now, I sort of have a stupid question, but it would be stupid of me not to ask. What is a tick chart? I understand that a 50 tick chart has 50 ticks within a candle. So what's a tick? In an hourly chart a candle consists of the price range within an hour period. Now I doubt a tick refers to time, but possibly price change? Kinda like a point and figure chart? What kind of trading strategy would benefit from a tick chart?

thanks everyone for your help.
    Andy

#45     Sep 18, 2002
  6. which do most of you feel are best for intra-day trades?:) Carol

#46     Sep 18, 2002
  7. Andy -

Normal definitions - a "tick" chart shows each tick (trade), usually plot in as a moving line chart and perhaps with the active bid/ask also overlayed.

A "tickbar" chart (what some people have been calling a "tick" chart) builds the bars based on the open/high/low/close/volume of some fixed # of ticks. So if you're using 50 tick bars, then the software will compute the OHLCV of each 50 consecutive ticks and build a normal bar and put it on the chart.

Naturally, this will produce a non-linear time scale since the bars are trade activity based rather than time based. Some people believe they can see better patterns in tickbar charts than time charts, although it's (like everything) debatable, especially for heavily traded securities.

They're not like P&F charts, they're temporally non-linear candlestick/bar charts. P&Fs are a different animal.

#47     Sep 18, 2002
  8. new2trading,

I prefer tick charts. I like to use 50, 250 and 500 tick charts and 5, 10 and 50 MA's. Tick charts are also great for momentum because sometimes a "time chart" won't catch patterns based on momentum.

Market Dynamics are non-linear with respect to time and therefore I feel that tick charts are great -- but I use it only for ES (the only thing I am going to trade currently -- besides swinging some options).

However, look at both and ask yourself which you like better. Different strokes for different folks.

#48     Sep 18, 2002
  9. sweet... I'll look into them. Thanx

#49     Sep 19, 2002
  10. cartm

cartm

I have a question about the advanced charts in esignal using ticks.............I go to add type in 30T under interval and then try to get it on a candle and it wont work.......I know I am just missing something very simple........went on the yahoo group and the homepage cannot find anything, can anyone using tick candle chart help with this tia very much......................later

#50     Sep 19, 2002