Tick Charts vs. Time Charts

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by aphexcoil, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Naz,

I thought I've said this before -- yes I have. I've made trades as investments and then started to daytrade (very lightly) but had to stop because I was doing it at work and couldn't devote the time and focus that daytrading requires.

I stopped because I wanted to do it the right way and not fly-by-night "inbetween meetings and during lunchbreak" trading.

Shortly I should be getting the money and my hours now permit me to trade all day long 2-3 days out of the week while still holding a full-time job.

That's perfect for me because it is low-risk. If I don't enjoy trading full-time, I have nothing to lose.

If I find out I'm the next Soros or Williams, then I win, too (and I don't have to put up with working at something I don't really love and I can devote my time and energy to something I do love). I don't think there is any better setup than to get paid by yourself through your own efforts doing something you love.

#31     Sep 10, 2002
  2. Quah,

If my esignal created too many candles, I would definately see that happening in front of me. There are 50 ticks in a candle on a 50 tick candle chart and 250 ticks in a 250 tick candle chart. I have not seen 251 ticks in a 250 tick candle chart, nor have I seen 33 ticks in a 50 tick candle chart.

The candle's high's and low's correspond to the current price action as it appears on both esignal and lycos quotes.

I can't prove that I don't have a problem -- it would be far easier for the other person to post a picture of his screen to show what the problem looks like, because I have no idea what he's talking about.

#32     Sep 10, 2002
  3. Quah

Quah

Lol. I understand how tick charts are built - but not your comment about 250 ticks being in a bar thus no problem. When you see 10 bars built, how do you know that 2500 ticks just went through? If only 2000 ticks happened and you had 10 bars built - that would be too many bars.

#33     Sep 10, 2002
  4. If I have 2000 ticks among 10 250 tick candles, then some of those candles are missing ticks. When I scroll over them, the software tells you how many ticks are in the candle (as well as how many ticks are currently filling the most recent candle).

I could just load up a 2500 tick chart and confirm the high's and low's for that candle and then the high's and lows for the series of 10 candles in the 250 tick candle chart.

Then again, if the price action says one thing and the candle is doing something else, then there's a problem.

#34     Sep 10, 2002
  5. pethof

pethof

aphexcoil,

>can't prove that I don't have a problem -- it would be far easier >for the other person to post a picture of his screen to show >what the problem looks like, because I have no idea what he's >talking about.

(Don't know how to post pictures). Let me try to explain it again and than I will end this discussion for myself. I didn't want to bother you, just to give you a warning be careful in using tickcharts from esignal.

1) Lets say you create a new tick chart with 30 ticks. Put on the "Cursor Window" with "Show bar count" enabled. After the cursor windows says "ok" you will have received a complete chart with tick bars. The bar count within the cursor windows tells you the amount of bars received. i.e 1500 bars like in my case.

2) Then wait and watch the new bars how they are drawn on the chart for about 20 new bars. The bar count now shows 1520 bars.
    Print the chart or like I do, just try to remember the drawn new bars.

3) Refresh the tick chart by positioning the cursor above the "OK" bar in the cursor window and left click your mouse.

4) After the refreshing is done, you will mention the last 20 newest bars are shortened to about 10 new bars and the bar count is set back to about 1510.

5) What is this all telling you? The tick bars before and after refreshing the charts are different. You will see a different picture of bar patterns before and after refreshing the chart. But which chart is ok? Before or after refreshing the chart?

6) I compared the chart with the same 30 tick chart on my TradeStation which I run in parallel to esignal. The result is: only after the refreshing of the esignal chart, both charts Tradestation and esignal are identical. Without refreshing esignals draws much too many bars. You can repeat it over and over.

Hope that helps inspite of my poor english.

#35     Sep 10, 2002
  6. Esignal Support,

What do you have to say about this? He's listed the procedures to reproduce the bug? I will check my software and report back as well.

#36     Sep 10, 2002
  7. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

Instructions from previous post have been forwarded to our beta team to try and repeat/research. As with any issue discovered during the beta period, please report directly to beta@esignal.com so we can evaluate.

Thanks,

#37     Sep 10, 2002
  8. coops

coops

hmmmm......

checked mine today on a 55tick chart of ES. Here's a couple of the two charts - first one is as prduced from half hour before trading (no refreshes during trading). Second one is after closing esignal completely and closing the turbofeed manager (tried refreshing by clicking on cursor window as per usual, but did not SEEM to make a difference..... i say seem because after reloading you can see there are small differences but not major or big enough for me to spot way too many bars or whatever)

PS..... NOTE ......
    I am trading from Bangkok Thailand :eek:
    so latency etc would no doubt account for the small differences..

so here's the first

#38     Sep 12, 2002
  9. coops

coops

here's the second....

:confused: :confused: :confused:

#39     Sep 12, 2002
  10. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

Follow-up:

After some extensive testing, we found the problem in the code related to tick charts ( in Advanced Charting ) and have fixed it. The new release is being tested by our QA dept.

Next release should contain the fix, which may end up being the release candidate sometime early next week.

Thanks for the information.

#40     Sep 12, 2002