Tick and Trin

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Smikkey Trader, Jan 10, 2002.

1. I tried getting a chart for the two using the symbol ^TICK & ^TRIN on Yahoo Finance but got the "no symbol found" message...Also tried the $ sign in front but same no result...

Do intraday charts exist for these indicators and if so what're the symbols?

Thanks!

#11     Jan 12, 2002
  2. Magna

Magna Administrator

hapaboy,

The symbols vary among the charting services.

For the NYSE TICK and TRIN:
    Realtick: $TICK-N, $TRIN-N
    Cybertrader: $TICK, $TRIN

For the Nasdaq TICK and TRIN:
    Realtick: $TICK-Q, $TRIN-Q
    Cybertrader: $TICKQ, $TRINQ

#12     Jan 12, 2002
  3. Thanks but do you have any idea on the symbols on websites like Yahoo Finance? I don't have Cybertrader or RealTick...

#13     Jan 12, 2002
  4. Magna

Magna Administrator

hapaboy,

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Yahoo (or, for that matter, any other service or brokerage house), so can't help you with their particular designations for TICK and TRIN.

#14     Jan 12, 2002
  5. tom_p

tom_p

hapaboy,

Specifically for Yahoo!Finance :

^TIC.O (NASDAQ TICK)
    ^TIC.N (NYSE TICK)
    ^STI.O (NASDAQ TRIN)
    ^STI.N (NYSE TRIN)

#15     Jan 12, 2002
  6. I use TICKQ and TRINQ as directional indicators. I have had them on one of my screens for about three years now. Together they give a feel for the direction and/or near term continued direction of the NAS. My four main directional indicators are SOX, TICKQ, TRINQ and S&P 500 E-Mini with a QCharts data feed.

#16     Jan 12, 2002
  7. Much appreciated!

BTW, where on the Yahoo Finance site did you get that information? Is there a page that lists all the indicator symbols?

Thanks again!

:)

#17     Jan 13, 2002
  8. tom_p

tom_p

hapaboy, use the Symbol Lookup link.

#18     Jan 13, 2002
  9. anyone ever see this indicator?

I remember hearing about it a few yrs ago

As far as $Tick goes ... when it makes an extreme move in one direction ... I try look to fade the move

Mark Cook keeps track of $Ticks on a cumulative basis

see active trader magazine Aug2001 issue

#19     Jan 13, 2002
  10. I trade ES and Naz stocks on the side, I watch the TICK (casually) as I know it's an important indicator used by many however I found its value limited the way I use it anyway: I look for divergences(hi-lows) or extreme readings. Does anybody have an explanation for the positive divergence yesterday in the TICK while ES kept making new lows. I guess the TICK should have indicated somewhat of a rebound towards the close, rebound which never happened.

#20     Jan 30, 2002