TICK and TRIN suitable for Swing Trading?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Ingazon, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Ingazon

Ingazon

Hi guys,

I'm rather new to this, and was wondering if you use the TICK and TRIN for swing trading. I know that both are used as short-term trading tools, and I believe people use them on 5- and 15-minute charts.

Do any of you find them useful for swing-trading? And if so, what time frame do you find most suitable?

2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

The NYSE-TICK is sick, and needs lots of attention and medicine, and no one is tending to it.
    The NYSE-TRIN (and its various SMAa, YMMV) is an old and reliable friend. If you're gonna go that route, though, you'd want a VXST/VIX, too.
    Time frames?? Gonna depend on your underlying. Investigate, check, check, and re-check. Hourly, daily, weekly, monthly. (No shit! :wtf:)

Have at it! :)

Ingazon and Xela like this.
  3. Ingazon

Ingazon

That was quick! Thanks a million! :)

4. comagnum

comagnum

Yes - tick can help your swing trading. Just keep an eye on it. When it hits extreme readings and other things line up like a multiple bottom formation on declining volume than you have the potential for a good swing trading.

In this example I use the price formation, volume, and tick.
    * Note the declining volume & tick(blue)on each tail - that showed sellers were nearing exhaustion and buyers were stepping in.

upload_2018-1-19_12-31-58.png

5. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I'll bet you a pint of
    https://flat12.me/on-tap/half-cycle
    that a 6minute SMA imposed on that TICK would be a great(er) indicator.
    :wtf::rolleyes::)