TICK and TIKI

Discussion in 'Trading' started by El Cazador, May 17, 2002.

1. white

white

The difference is that:
    TICK is the net tick change for NYSE stocks
    TICKI is the net tick change for DOW 30 stocks

So what's the equivalent for NASD stocks?

thanks

White

#11     May 18, 2002
  2. The NASDAQ has its own TICK ........some programs differ
    $TICK-Q $TIKQ............you have to check with your data provider for that......personally I do not like the NAS tick because it just doesnt show me much, for overall market timing for the 3 indexes I like to use the NYSE TICK best.........Chris

TRADESTATION - $TICK ( NYSE TICK) $TIKI ( DOW TICK) $TIKQ( NASDAQ TICK)

REALTICK $TICK-N(NYSE TICK) $TICK-Q(NASDAQ TICK) $TICK-DJI( DOW TICK)

Goodluck

#12     May 18, 2002
  3. Just an observation - TICK and TIKI readings from different data vendors varies a lot.

So if you find a particular one from a specific data vendor that you can find some senses out of it then stay with that data feed.

Why difference among the data vendor?

It is because the TICK and TIKI are sampled statistics.
    Some broadcast a subset of updates from the exchanges.
    But some data vendors construct their own!
    Thus the variation is huge in terms of update frequency from every second to every 30 secs.

Why difference when sampled at difference time?

Here is an example. A, B, C, D, and E are symbols.
    Up means an up tick just happened and has a value of +1.
    Down means a down tick just happened and has a value of -1.
    So the TICK value is the sum of these up and down.

15:00:01
    A up
    B down
    C up
    D down
    E down

the tick count here is -1

Now, 15:00:02
    A up
    B up
    C up
    D up
    E down

the tick count here is +3

So, if your data vendor or simply the exchange sampled the market at 15:00:01, you get -1. If the sampling took place at 15:00:02, then you get +3.

At the very fast pace of # of transactions we have now, TICK can varies by as much as 100 to 200 from data vendor to data vendor.

Remember that due to the change into decimal system, data is no longer changed at 1/8 or 1/16 or 1/32. Thus many players are willing to play "unfair" and create "odd" ticks that is 0.01 above or below previous price.

That can never happen to NYSE data - because only best bid/ask got executed. But for NASDAQ, its TICKQ index is pretty much broken now.

#13     May 19, 2002
  4. nitro

nitro

Lawrence,

Good point!

nitro

P.S. Will Neo work with Hyperfeed? When I downloaded the demo, I did not see a radio button to choose this feed. Also, I was told by a Hyperfeed representative that if a third party software works with Hyper, then it will work with PCQuote.? Is this true for Neo? One final question, one of the feeds that one is allowed to choose if Interactive Brokers. However, I couldn't get it to work. What's up?

#14     May 19, 2002
  5. Vishnu

Vishnu

I tend to scalp with the tick. I use quicken software and use tick.n and tick.r to see the nyse tick and nasdaq tick.

tick technique:

a. if tick is < -400 I find a stock that is > 10% down.
    b. when tick goes > -200 and stock upticks twice in a row I buy
    c. if tick goes down 100 points at any time after I buy I get out of trade.
    d. to add to the probabilities I find correlated stocks to the stock I am playing and wait for all the stocks to have upticks before getting into trade.

Any thoughts?

#15     May 19, 2002
  6. Nitro,

Am p-email you on using NeoTicker.

It is a thread on TICK and do not want to interfere with that.

#16     May 19, 2002
  7. white

white

Chris,

thanks for the info

#17     May 19, 2002
  8. nitro

nitro

IMHO, this would have at least a positive expentancy if for no other reason than item d. above. Since the other indicators you are using are collinear, I see no reason why they shouldn't also confirm.

The only thing I will add is that if your time frame is to scalp dimes and quarters, this may be too slow to capture that move, unless you are trading the laggards.

nitro

#18     May 19, 2002
  9. jem

jem

I am interested in a followup to Lawrence Chan and vulture. In the past I used at financial and track data and I found the fast cash on track and the tick on at to be good tools. Currently I find the tick on quote.com to be more useful than the tick on real tick but I like real tick for other things. Who currently has the most accurate and fastest tick/ tiki updates. Does anyone have fast cash besides track data. Finally, a few years ago the rep from Track data said the merc floor was looking at track's data. Whose data do they use now?

thanks.

#19     May 19, 2002
  10. 95% of what goes down on this forum is BS but the reason I hang around is for threads like this that come along every so often. Im using Esignal and would like to know if anyone has opinions as to the accuracy of the Tick with this program. I was in LBR's chatroom for awhile and it seemed to match up pretty well with what see was seeing and Im sure she is using the best available.

#20     May 19, 2002