Thug In Chief Obama: FOX News Is "Destructive"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bugscoe, Sep 28, 2010.

1. A nice little sidebar story:

Poll: Among cable-news networks, MSNBC trusted by … 12%
    POSTED AT 10:55 AM ON SEPTEMBER 27, 2010 BY ED MORRISSEY

In an otherwise serious poll from Politico and George Washington University, the survey also asks respondents which cable-news network they access most for political news. The results aren’t terribly surprising, as they more or less mirror the ratings, but are still noteworthy for one network’s almost-total marginalization. While Fox News Channel sailed to an impressive 42% and CNN got a substantial if unimpressive 30%, MSNBC got …
    How did it get to this state? After all, NBC had a long history in television news, starting decades before CNN and even longer than Fox. Its partnership with Microsoft should have given the cable news network a distinct advantage in the New Media world. Their roster of news anchors, present and future, should have immediately challenged CNN for primacy and marginalized Fox, who may have had cash but relatively fewer newsgathering resources in the US when it launched.

Under the direction of GE’s Jeff Immelt, though, NBC’s cable network went for the full-insane demographic. Fox took CNN’s talking-head format and simply reversed the bias, although Fox rightly argues that it presents more opposing viewpoints than CNN did as part of their establishment talent and not just occasional guests and party spinmeisters. NBC decided to emulate Air America with its cable lineup instead, perhaps seeing some opportunity in the last Bush term to capitalize on his unpopularity and become a center of opposition opinion.

Rather than accomplish that, the decision by NBC and its parent GE has not just destroyed MSNBC’s credibility but also NBC’s as well. With the exception of Joe Scarborough, who is hard to pigeonhole but certainly isn’t a hard-Left hysteric, the entire lineup is exactly what one would find on the failed libtalker radio network. It’s no coincidence that two of its featured hosts come straight out of Air America, Rachel Maddow and Ed Schultz. Maddow has, at least, produced a watchable show, albeit with a hard-Left tilt that clearly is out of touch with the mainstream, but Schultz is barely coherent. Top that off with a daily “news” broadcast from Keith Olbermann that almost literally consists of a Two Minute Hate (Olbermann’s WPIW lists), and it’s a recipe for the kind of disaster that only political hacks could love. The wonder is that GE and NBC apparently seem content to alienate 88% of the viewing audience with its trainwreck theater.

#11     Sep 28, 2010
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Interesting point of view.

#12     Sep 28, 2010
  3. BSAM

BSAM

"The poll found that 81 percent of those polled get their news about the midterm elections from cable channels, like Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, or their websites, compared with 71 percent from national network news channels, such as ABC, NBC or CBS, and their websites."

Hmm...Never was too good at math, so can someone tell me what 81 + 71 comes out to?

Thanks.

#13     Sep 28, 2010
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

#14     Sep 28, 2010
  5. BSAM

BSAM

Ooooooh! I get it. So, whichever channel has the most numbers, must be telling the most truth, right?

(Looking upward while slapping my face...) Why couldn't I figure that out??

#15     Sep 28, 2010
  6. You should look up the actual article. It may help to clear up your poor math skills.

#16     Sep 28, 2010
  7. BSAM

BSAM

Naaaaw....Too lazy....Was just going by what you posted. Looks like some FOX news math to me. That's not what they taught when I went to school.

#17     Sep 28, 2010
  8. Ricter

Ricter

I assume that factoring into our calcuation of US media bias, the bias of the rest of the planet's media, is of no use because....

we're number 1! we're number 1! hoo ray! ooh rah! yee haw! go team! go!!?

#18     Sep 28, 2010
  9. "according to a POLITICO/George Washington University Battleground Poll released Monday."

FOX News? You need a whole education.

#19     Sep 28, 2010
  10. BSAM

BSAM

Your bullshit is weak, Bugs. How much is 81 + 71?

#20     Sep 28, 2010