Throwing an easy overpaid job for a prop shop

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by mauzj, Sep 23, 2003.

1. yeah, there is so much you can do to further your chances of success at trading before quitting the stable (but sucky) job. not to mention the capital you can save while there. if i were you, i would put together at least a 25k stake, and study the hell out of the markets and your potential place in them before leaving. start trading before you leave. i've never worked for a prop firm, but from what i read, i wouldnt count on them to teach you anything.

i was in your position and finally gathered the courage to leave the stable job a year ago. i think you're better off learning what you can by scouring this board, making good contacts and trading for yourself.

#11     Sep 23, 2003
  2. BigMike

BigMike

If all you aspire to is the safety of a measely 60K/yr, then stick with it. Otherwise, find your passion and follow it, then the money will follow you. If that passion is trading, then so be it...but if you're not sure, then it's probably not your passion and the money will be tough. In either case, you tell us alot about yourself by the fact that you even went into your current boring, dreadful job in the first place.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

BigMike

#12     Sep 23, 2003
  3. Have you though about taking an unpaid extended maternity leave?

#13     Sep 23, 2003
  4. If you are passionate enough about trading to be successful, you have the drive to keep your job and trade in your off hours.

The great thing about the market is that it rewards skill/talent and ruthlessly punishes mistakes.

Keep your job. If you are a passionate and talented trader, you will be able to earn enough such that the need for a salary will cease to exist and you won't have to ask the question. In fact, you won't even need to go prop but simply trade your winnings as retail.

It would be foolish, IMO, to quit your job before you've discovered this. It is, after all, about odds and they are most definitely stacked against us all.

#14     Sep 23, 2003
  5. :D GREAT IDEA!!

#15     Sep 23, 2003