Throwing an easy overpaid job for a prop shop

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by mauzj, Sep 23, 2003.

1. mauzj

mauzj

Hi,

I aspire to become a prop trader and am applying to prop firms. They don't really seem to pay much to trainees, but it's something I'd really like to try.

The problem is that I have an easy mindless job paying $60k that I'll be throwing in to take a prop position. And if I'm not making money after the trader training (or if I'm crap at the training) I'll be out of a job.

Therefore, I now have riskless money from a job I hate. But if I take a prop job I could have no money and be out of a job.

Would taking a prop position be recommended in my position?

Thanks,

Mauzj.

2. okwon

okwon

I really think it's up to you.

3. no. there are other ways to trade and keep your job that you could try.

4. You don't have to trade with a prop firm to trade full time.

Can you trade at your current job?

Can you trade one of the foreign index futures at night?

5. gimp570

gimp570

I have a prop trading job...I will trade with ya...I think that I would be great a a mind less ..joby job

m

6. To succeed at full time trading is "%^):! hard work. You've got to be passionate about it and be really sure its something you want to do, otherwise you wont get through the inevitable tough times of learning the ropes.

If you are in two minds, then I'd say you don't have the passion yet. Trade a bit in your own time until you are convinced its the only thing you want to do, and that you are leaving too much money on the table by not doing it.

Good luck

:)

Indie

7. If I have a steady job paying 60k I would save up some money and swing trade. That way you'll keep your job and learn the markets at the same time.

8. And trade on Company Time, 60K is a nice base salary.

9. I am seeing people coming in and going out, few stick. Why don't you try to trade before/after/during your job first?

10. If i were in you situation, I keep the $60k job.

If you live on the west coast, you can play with the market for 2-3 hours.

If you have internet at work, maybe you can watch it during lunch.
    With $60k job, you can afford a nice house, car, and travel many places.

Ok that is my opinions.

#10     Sep 23, 2003