Through the Looking Glass

Discussion in 'Journals' started by illiquid, Mar 6, 2010.

1. I will say that I have had the exact opposite experience. In my early years I thought just like what you posted. I made things much harder than I needed to. If your stop is "on the book" or not there is still going to be other stops around it to make a potential area worth gunning for.

Once I finally started to understand the tape tells the truth and didnt try to find the lies within it then I started to become more and more profitable. I anticipate that we started at opposite extremes and we both ended somewhere in the middle but I thought I could at least provide another perspective.

#21     Mar 11, 2010
  2. I have often questioned the use of stop-losses (I do not use them personally). To me, the only usefulness found in stop-losses is for people who aren't actively managing their trades. If a trader is actively managing his/her trades, what use a stop loss when you can close the position with a market order whenever you want? I would think a stop-loss order is just as susceptable to slippage as a market order, so what is the benefit?

Perhaps this is not the appropriate place for this discussion but since the topic was brought up I thought I'd share some thoughts.

Good discussion in this journal so far.

#22     Mar 11, 2010
  3. trading without stops(mental stops) has always given me much worse slippage than trading with them.

#23     Mar 11, 2010
  4. kardisa

kardisa

Wow, this is me in a nutshell. I look forward to reading more of your musings.

#24     Mar 11, 2010
  5. Although some of what I wrote was tongue-in-cheek, the point I was trying to make was to find trades that work even if all the conspiracies were true. In a well-timed trade there won't be any time or desire for "them" to hit your stops -- they'll be too busy pushing the market in your favor to bother.

#25     Mar 11, 2010
  6. NoDoji

NoDoji

Absolutely. Stops are market orders and you end up farther back in the queue if your stop isn't already in place.

#26     Mar 11, 2010
  7. point taken and i think i might have been dead on when i said we can from opposing angles but ended in the same place.

#27     Mar 12, 2010
  8. P/L for this week: -4,700 on 433k shares traded.

-6, +4, +8, -4, -6

This week was typical in the volatility of day to day p/l for me; not so typical was how it was arrived. I concentrated on cutting losers short, as my losing days usually come from one or two positions going very bad, and that went well. However, I also ended up churning a few stocks, most notably 77k shares of AIG on thursday for a loss of -3.7k. On good days I only tend to trade around 30-40k shares in total; I am a poor scalper, and my share count traded in a stock is directly correlated with how much I'll lose in it. Also, I normally don't hold overnights for an entire week but the position looked good -- until POT guidance caught me offsides Friday.

A disappointing start, but I really shouldn't expect too much during expirations months (mar, jun, sep, dec) in between earnings seasons. And so my total volume should reflect that, which it didnt; my biggest error this week was just clicking away at the kb when there just wasn't anything (for me) to do. I was also reminded about how I can lose just as much or more trading around a losing idea as holding it straight all the way til my puke point -- I "rewarded" my quick loss cutting with multiple attempts at the same trade, instead of just moving on. I think I need the ability to visualize the "perfect loss", and it should look something like this:

ABC 2000 shrs -XXX

Next.

#28     Mar 13, 2010
  9. Redneck

Redneck

Hey Illiquid

Realize I know you are experienced – so I could be very "wet” on this but…..

Whenever I read “cut my losers short” (in any post not just here) here’s what I tend think (albeit right or wrong)

And btw – I fully acknowledge you also said – you “rewarded your quick loss cutting”... Which to me cutting a loser short is not the same as cutting a loser quick… (and yea I realize what you meant when you wrote “rewarded yourself” – been there done that )

Anyway what I tend to think when I read cut a loser short…..

I know the time frame I’m trading…. I know what the set ups look like within that time frame.., which by default means I also know the point where a trade failed… However...

I am really not crystal clear on the time frame I am trading – possibly I am using multiple time frames but not sticking to one specific time frame for entries/ exits

I am not really crystal clear on my set up(s) – within the chosen (specific) time frame I trade

I am not patiently waiting on my set up(s) to materialize – and I end up entering early

I am not crystal clear on my failed trade point(s)

I am clear on my failed trade points but I not waiting patiently on the trade to come to fruition – win or lose

I know all this (my frame work is clearly defined) but I am not really following it

Would you mind describing how you know, and why, you are cutting your losers short? (and if not no biggie)

Fwiw…

On the flipside – I think if we have absolutely and clearly defined all the above (created our frame work) – and consistently trade within our framework…

Then our primary (only) task is to sit and wait – either on the next trade (set up) to materialize, or on the trade we’re in to come to fruition – win or lose

Yep it’s easier said than done – that human condition we all face is a real pita Sir

Respectfully
    RN

#29     Mar 13, 2010
  10. ammo

ammo

good rn

#30     Mar 13, 2010