Thread proliferation curtailment

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Buy1Sell2, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

I recommend that there be a limit to how many threads can be started by one user in a particular time period. One a day would be way more than adequate. ---(probably should be less). I believe quality of writings will increase and convos will be easier to keep abreast of.

algofy and CaptainObvious like this.
  2. I think I would probably support this smart idea.

Perhaps just one single new thread per day by the most lucky one among all members for the whole day would be even much better. :)

3. Absolutely! And let's just cut to the chase. One person starting multiple threads daily, all of which are tied to one thing and one thing only has gone way past absurd. Trump/Russia can be one thread, period. This is one headcase trying to dominate an entire forum with one topic. Enough.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    traderob and Buy1Sell2 like this.
  4. Jack1960

Jack1960

Less posts. Less pageviews. Less advertising revenue. Hey guys, elitetrader.com is not non-profit.

wrbtrader likes this.
  5. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

I could be wrong, but I think page views and responses might actually increase with the board easier to keep track of convos more cohesive.

6. traderob

traderob

the problem is one with poster, exGoper. His threads are invariably a waste of time and space.

7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

If you put the guy on ignore, his threads go away. *poof*

Magic.

Once everyone stops replying to or paying attention to the guy, he'll lose interest.

8. traderob

traderob

I joined the site in 2003, and have never put anyone on ignore. Might be the first, but it would better if he were banned outright

9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Just my personal opinion, but I disagree with banning someone over the content of their post (unless it is illegal or something). I get that you guys consider him spamming, and actually so do I, but there's a fine line between actual spamming and just posting a lot of threads on a similar topic - a topic that we do not agree with.

The ignore function removes the noise, and highlights the signal. There have been a good deal of folks in the political section who have been outright trolls in the past (the Jake Jones/c-kid crap comes to mind). Trust me when I tell you that putting them on ignore is the worst thing you can do to them. When no one responds anymore, they fade away.

10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

My recommendation has nothing to do with censoring content of posters. Rather it has to do with organization and being able to keep track of a dialogue. One new thread per week would have thread starters paying more attention to whether or not their info needs a new thread or whether or not it could be mingled in a current thread. Quality of threads and the cohesiveness of same would lend itself well to readers and posters alike.

#10     Jul 19, 2017