Thoughts on ultra wide (34" up to 49") screens vs multi-monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bernied, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

I like the 34" 1440. I used to have multiple 27" UHD. I switched to the 34" but I would not go larger. The curve is not really useable for me after 34". I would rather turn to face another monitor. To me 34" is the limit. The reason I moved away from the multiple 27" was the hooking up of them toe the machine, and at some point I can only see so much at a time anyways and still be viable to make decisions.

BTW: I have a Dell and an NEC. The Dell while only a few months old, is starting to show problems. The NEC, while not popular, has been rock solid. I have used them for decades and they have NEVER had a problem. Of course there are many brands out there!

Lastly speaking of standing, this is a funny story about a dentist on a hover board pulling teeth. https://arstechnica.com/science/201...-while-pulling-tooth-faces-patients-in-court/

#11     Sep 26, 2020
  2. bernied

bernied

I have 2 desks (in 2 rooms) :
    - one is a small 4' wide / 2' depth with keyboard + mouse in front. I'm leaning towards the 32" or 34" size for this one. No gaming, but it's in a bright room so display must be bright enough.
    - the other is a larger desk (maybe 5.5' x 3'), darker room (no window), also my music home-studio and occasional gaming. I'm considering a larger, 49" there, but undecided vs the smaller 34". 49" is so large is scary lol! The deks is adjustable height and has a keyboard / mouse tray.

Both are for sitting chairs. I'm aware of the ergonomy / health concerns, so both have good office chairs. And I do move a lot still (take micro-pauses, sometimes do an exercice rep or play some music ;-P) to avoid the repetitive-stress injuries. Though obviously being in-front of a screen all day probably isn't ideal, no matter how.

#12     Sep 28, 2020
  3. Canoe007

Canoe007

So much depends on how the info you'll be looking is displayed and at what size. For your eyes and viewing distance, what Final Size do you need. And how much info do you want/need to have instantly available without having to open or bring forward the correct window for viewing.

There are some things to do some investigation and thinking about.
    1. The distance from your eyes to the monitor, for a given monitor providing what view at final size.
    2. Will you be keeping an eye on an auto-trading platform & giving it occasional direction, or will you be actively searching through multiple decision sources and manually entering trades, or having a preset trade sitting waiting for you to select the exact moment you want to send it off, or ____. And for how many securities. As in, how much of your time is monitoring, vs. searching, vs. inputting, and for each: how often for how long within each hour.
    3. Will you be glued to the monitor while actively trading or getting up and walking around needing/expecting to easily keep an eye on the display(s).
    For example, I've got a rather large desk, so I've got a 4K 55" tv with video processing features turned off. My viewing distance is 30" to 36", rather easy on the eyes. I also have a 28" 1920 x 1200 beside it to the left, angled inwards ~20 degrees. The 4K replaced a 6up matrix of those 28" monitors (one 4K is so much nicer; and the 6up matrix replaced a row of three monitors). Compared to the 6up, the 4K doesn't have as much real-estate above, but that was only used for tertiary information and required too much lifting my head up to view easily, so no loss. With the 4K, my main information ends up being on the left half of the 4K up to 2/3 high. The rest of the 4K to the right gets secondary information, and tertiary information goes across its top or on the 28". I still have additional windows that are hidden and have to be brought up.

Those changes in display had the benefit of my having used the prior setup, and for my custom software platform (as it evolved) that displays the info I need/want and displayed in the manner I find most advantageous. So, if you haven't done a lot of trading yet at those desks, one thought is that any setup you get will not be the final setup that is neither optimum nor you want; so get two cheap monitors that are large enough to sit at the back of the desk so you have the whole desk in front of them for your use. Then once you've got more knowledge about where you're going to go, upgrade to meet your needs. Alternately, get a cheap 4K TV as a monitor for your first setup (just make sure you can turn the TV video processing off so it works well as a monitor).

The 4K 55" is straight, not curved. At my viewing distance, the difference from one side to the other is not significant. If I were sitting closer, I could see a curved screen being of benefit. With 65" on/at the wall with my viewing distance, straight is fine, curved would be a waste. Note that if I had a curved screen, then perhaps how I used the different areas within a display would change.

Eventually, I will be going to two 4K 65" TVs mounted at/on the wall: one starting from desk height and the other above it angled between wall and ceiling. At that final viewing size, the lower one will give me the same viewing size of graphic objects as the current position of the 55" 4K (which is why I choose 4K 65"). Main trading activity is monitoring an automated system, and key info will remain on that left size of the lower monitor, with secondary on the right, and a bit more across its top. The upper monitor will already have the windows open that I want instantly available when the info on the lower monitor means I want additional supporting info for a check. Since I have it, the 55" 4K will be going to the left in portrait mode, with brokers' platform/account info plus news.

#13     Oct 8, 2020
    TheMordy and easymon1 like this.
  4. 2-4 monitors is good -- 3 in a row and 1 on top. 22" max. At top should be your markets monitor/news/non-core stuff. You generally need one screen for your email/messaging/etc. (usually far left). You then need a screen dedicated to OMS/EMS (far right). In the middle should be your primary screen, where you do most of your analysis.

I find it helpful to have monitors higher up because I can more easily reference additional information when I'm doing analysis. For example, if I'm pricing a security using an excel model (middle screen), I'll have referential stuff (data, guide, important info) on the top screen. That way I don't have to alt-tab etc.

#14     Oct 30, 2020
    Dreadsen likes this.