Thoughts on scaling up

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by superchargedv8, Apr 4, 2020.

1. So I recently started trading with a much larger position and am skeptical as to what might be going on causing me to take extra losses. I trade intraday and follow momentum whichever direction that might be.Im currently with TD Ameritrade and am possibly going to be moving to another broker (currently looking and comparing). Recently I've noticed more and more that if I take a position on lets say "SPY" as soon as I place my order it almost immediately starts going against me; so my question is this, is it because of my position sizing, my broker, mm, or do I just have to change strategy to trade with a much larger position?

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. fan27

fan27

You likely do not have a strategy with a positive expectancy as none of the things you mention are relevant.

3. The strategy i think is fine working with smaller size afterall i did manage to cross the PTD barrier coming from 2k. Once i went on margin and started to scale up it seems to not work so im just trying to make sense of it and adjust.

4. dozu888

dozu888

you are choking.

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

So I recently started lifting with a much heavier weight and am skeptical as to what might be going on causing me to take extra fat. I lift by night and follow the moon whichever cycle that might be.Im currently with FitJoe and am possibly going to be moving to another place (currently looking and comparing). Recently I've noticed more and more that if I take a stance on lets say "Sumo deadlift" as soon as I place my hands it almost immediately starts itching me; so my question is this, is it of my leg size, my gym, coach, or do I just have to change strategy to lift with a much heavier weight?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Specterx, FrankInLa and KCalhoun like this.
  6. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Lol and brilliantly written

Correct parameters to test would include # shares initial vs scaling, time duration of trades, entry setups used, VIX/TRIN values when entering, in vs out day, premkt futs on entry day, time of day positions are entered etc

murray t turtle and Sekiyo like this.
  7. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

More seriously ...

“Extra” loss from increased exposure is logical.
    And market going against you is no conspiracy.

The real questions are ...
    1. Are the risks taken worth it ?
    2. Is your exposure to the risks adapted ?

Yes - Yes

Move on ...

KCalhoun likes this.
  8. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

Couldn’t stop laughing.
    But it’s OP prose not mine.
    All rights do belongs to him.

Scaling wise,
    Proportional betting is great.

KCalhoun likes this.
  9. Ill take it up to part of the learning curve.

luckyfnlou and Sekiyo like this.
  10. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

By the way...

Welcome ^^

#10     Apr 4, 2020