Thoughts on Research In Motion (RIMM)

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by MoneyMarket, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ammo

ammo

if you've been here since 98 why does it say 02 next to your name,how many alias's do you have,and iceman if thats you from the oex,hello....read the opening question by the OP,,craigslist has a rants page,you're wasting your talents here.

#51     Jun 28, 2011
  2. had a different name...

I haven't been on this site since 2006.

ammo - were you here before 2007

#52     Jun 28, 2011
  3. jj90

jj90

Disagree with you iceman. At these levels I feel RIMM is still far too pricey given the problems it's facing. I'm looking at sub 20 before I accumulate. I think atticus had a target of $10 which is cash, that's a good entry around that level.

#53     Jun 28, 2011
  4. ammo

ammo

no,construction biz was drying up so came back to this game

#54     Jun 28, 2011
  5. well I cant strongly disagree with you... having lived through so many meltdowns in the market including 207-2008 when the DOW was in the 6000s. I am a contrarian with stuff like RIM; smetimes it works - other times you catch a falling knife.

Let me ask you to play devils' advocate - can you think of any positives that might lead to higher markup for RIM in next 3-4 months?

#55     Jun 29, 2011
  6. I said promoting, dipshit, not buying. Besides, promoting & buying are very similar. Look at the 1st page of this thread, 2nd post. You were persuading people to cover their shorts on June 16.
    RIMM's closing price on June 16 was 35.33. [​IMG]

#56     Jun 29, 2011
  7. jj90

jj90

Nothing compnay specific. If I did I would be accumulating at these prices. You'd get beta with mkt movements, but then you'd just be trading the index instead. RIMM may be an AAPL in the 90s, early 2000s but to play that kind of scenario out the common for RIMM would have to half from these prices to initiate a position.

#57     Jun 29, 2011
  8. Buyout.

They have a vey large, relatively well-healed user base. If a POS like PALM can be bought, RIM for sure can get taken out.

#58     Jun 29, 2011
  9. Is RIM being up today essentially "the rising tide raises all ships", or something more positive?

I think it's a good idea to keep an eye on options volume and note if any large purchases of call options are transacted, as that would be a precursor to a "buyout" (although I don't see that happening in the near future).

However I think the catalyst for upside is when RIM finally makes some announcements relating to their software or OS, and the release of the newer models of the BOLD.

I am not a stock analyst or a fundamental analyst like some of the more knowledgeable IT or TELECOM guys on here... but I just get gut feelings that are usually right (85/15%) - LOL

#59     Jun 30, 2011
  10. read an open letter to rimm from one of its employee and rimm's response. The letter was spot on especially about the lack of developer support / good sdk. Yet based on rimm's response it's pretty clear those guys still got their head up their ass without a clue.

#60     Jun 30, 2011