Thoughts on Research In Motion (RIMM)

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by MoneyMarket, Jun 15, 2011.

1. June 35 straddle costs ~3.50, so 10% is needed just to b/e. that's one volatile mofo.

#11     Jun 16, 2011
  2. boom - headshot.

#12     Jun 16, 2011
  3. Ya, or take profits at 29.98 offered. Nice call.

#13     Jun 16, 2011
  4. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

You mean risk $10-$30 profit to make $5 ??? Missed your short call today, I didn't say go long, I said protect your profits prior to earnings. Sorry that went way over your head.

#14     Jun 16, 2011
  5. lol, did you see a print at $45 that we missed? The company is doomed. It's the myspace of handsets. Again, nice call to cover shorts before the release.

#15     Jun 16, 2011
  6. S2007S

S2007S

Nine ender why are you so bullish on this company, it was a given fact that a year ago this company would be struggling, everyone I know owns either an Iphone or a HTC running droid. Rimm has too much competition, they were on top of their game and now have finally lost it. They think by releasing a tablet that they might just continue to stay in trend, not going to happen, even though they sold 100,000 more than expected it will not mean much for their bottom line moving forward. No company stays on top forever.

#16     Jun 16, 2011
  7. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

AAPL was $9 a share in 1999. You'd have been saying the same thing about them at that point. In terms of "staying on top", I've seen IBM, AAPL, ORCL, INTC pretty much stay on top no matter what happens for decades. Seen this story many times, RIMM has the same advantages ( strong workforce, innovative culture, established distribution channels, strong balance sheet ).

Bashing RIMM is a CNBC / US analyst induced hysteria that is very much American in nature. I suppose if Canadians had the same nature, we'd be forever bashing your banks and the pathetic subprime business that brought your country to its knees in late 2007.

If RIMM went under, they would do so after making the principals hugely rich, costing the taxpayers nothing, and owing nobody anything at all. Certainly no Lehmann, that's your American baby to deal with, and we get to deal with RIMM in Canada. Easy choice, RIMM is well liked in Canada, even when they only make $5 a share this year.

#17     Jun 16, 2011
  8. WHY do you keep bringing up aapl? i already explained to you why it's such a bad comparison when rimm was still above $40.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3191356#post3191356

It's not 10 years ago where hardware still matters, now it's all about the software ecosystem, and guess what? noone is writing any shit for blackberry apps. To top it off, their hardware arent anything special. And their playbook whatever already failed before it even went on sale.

Rimm is just hanging on from their past corporate clients. They need to either go the nokia route and use android/phone 7 or get bought out. Otherwise it's doomed.

#18     Jun 16, 2011
  9. A picture's worth a thousand................

• rimm.jpg
      File size:
      136.5 KB
      Views:
    #19     Jun 16, 2011
  10. gobar

gobar

LNKD is losing money but still worth $7 Billion just because wall st thinks its a growth stock while RIMM $5 billion in cash is worth only $15 billion..

#20     Jun 17, 2011