Thoughts on Fires and South. CA RE prices?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by midlifeguy, Oct 24, 2007.

1. I'm a life-long CA resident as well spent most of my time in Santa Monica / WLA but recently lived in Nor. Cal. south bay for about 4 years. I've just moved back to So Cal in San Diego.

When I was a teenager growing up in LA, we had massive fires raging in malibu / topanga, massive earthquakes that took out siginificant infrastructure (remember northridge?), and a huge RIOT in south central (yeah that was fun). I remember a lot of Christians were claiming that the end times had come.

The upshot? No one left california, much less LA. I don't think people really give much thought to these calamities when they move out here. I don't think the fires this time will have any bearing on the overall market.

Regardless, I see LA and San Jose / San Francisco residential RE still massively overvalued, and it's my thinking we will see a quick, heated, run down in prices, followed by a few years of droop or stagnant prices. Why? simple. The credit markets are in the process of returning to normalcy. Buyers will only receive financing based on a healthy debt to verified income ratio. The way prices stand now, most won't qualify, and that's why the market liquidity has dried up.

Some insist that our local RE markets have remained robust in the face of a nationwide slump. The truth, I think, is that without bids in the market, the actual value of homes is quickly running away from what sellers are asking. The bottomline truth is, just as the value of debt-backed securities is largely unknown, so is the median price for regional areas like San Jose, LA, Irvine, and San Diego.

RoughTrader

#21     Oct 24, 2007
  2. Geat post RT.

I agree. I was raised in the Bay Area. One reason I am not there now is the absurd housing costs.

#22     Oct 25, 2007
  3. This fire story has completely dominated the headlines. Seems overdone.

#23     Oct 25, 2007
  4. It wouldn't be if it were your house.

#24     Oct 25, 2007
  5. This thread makes me think about people who think CA house prices will go down if there's a big earthquake. No, house prices will surge up after a big earthquake. Because everyone will think "Time to move to CA because they won't have another big one for 100 years!"

#25     Oct 25, 2007
  6. People are nice? That is debatable. It is rather impersonal and rude and everyone is into themselves.
    If that is nice, then so be it. As for the weather. IT IS OVERRATED. It is cloudy most of the Summer and the lack of rain makes the air quality crap. The smog
    there is visable on almost any day. Just go to a mountain and look down. I would rather deal with a little snow than deal with fires anyday.

#26     Oct 26, 2007
  7. On the cloudy days when you don't have any sun its kind of nice to have a wildfire going so you can feel the radiant heat that way. Keeps everyone in CA happy I think.

#27     Oct 26, 2007
  8. There are something like 23000 homes for sale in the MLS around San Diego county with around 2000 homes being sold every month.

If 2000 homes burned and those people all rushed to buy you've dropped month in inventory from 11 months to 10 months... even with the rush of buyers. Yipeeeee!

It's not going to matter. Prices will continue to tank

#28     Oct 27, 2007