thoughts on commissions in futures

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by coolweb, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Getting a lower commission is a double edged kind of thing. You actually have to do a higher volume to build your account up. And since you didn't do much volume before hand, your broker doesn't give you a volume based discount. Thus, you have to pay a higher commission doing heavy volume which takes away from growing your account.

I know how hard it was trying to scalp using a $ 3.82 RT. It only took me like 2 weeks to run out of equity in my account.

#21     Jul 4, 2005

2. lol.. .you seriously need some kind of medication.

$1.82 RT for ZN due to volume based discounts.
    $4.82 RT for YM due to the lower volumes I used to do. Now I am shopping for a lower commission with a projected RTs of 3,000/month.

#22     Jul 4, 2005
  3. nitro

nitro

More lies,

All brokers take ALL your volume into consideration when giving you a rate. They don't take your ZN volume seperately from your YM volume.

You needs lots of practice in your lies. I know I am giving you a good education, but I grow weary...

I bid you and your fantasies Adieux.

nitro

#23     Jul 4, 2005
  4. kubilai

kubilai

Perhaps nitro was refering to Ripley's posts 2 months ago that he started with $1k capital, much of which borrowed on a credit card cash advance. Now Ripley is talking about paying $9k-$25k in commission a month (depending on which post you read). That's "relatively" fast progress on the equity curve. Of course, fortunes are made and lost quickly trading futures using high leverage and/or high frequency. So it's possible. Each reader has to draw his own conclusions.

#24     Jul 4, 2005
  5. I didn't start with 1K, I actually started with 30K, and made it upto around 50K...

Lost it all.... & I don't trade to make a living, I trade to make MONEY.

I could do multitude of other things that are less strenuous and my easier on my life....but all of those would be less exciting.

YES.. My risk aversion is little to non existant b/c I don't have a family and I lead a very frugal life.

#25     Jul 4, 2005
  6. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote from nitro:

I don't know why anyone needs to lie, but you are.

Here I am going to lie: I do 2000 YM RTs a month at $4.80 a RT.

That was easy. Why did I need to do that?

nitro
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:D

#26     Jul 4, 2005
  7. ANCHOR

ANCHOR

CQG is just a trading interface. I use CQG to place trades at a rate of .50 per round turn. I still have to pay 2.85 in broker commissions and 3.00 in exchange fees (CBOT pit traded contracts).

#27     Jul 4, 2005
  8. Which broker are you using? The info I get from my broker is there is no other charge as I posted before.

#28     Jul 4, 2005
  9. ANCHOR

ANCHOR

I use ProactiveFutures (just started with them). To give you a complete break down:

commissions - 2.18
    NFA - 0.04
    Clearing - 0.10
    Exchange - 3.00
    CQG - 0.50

Total - 5.82

Like I said, that's going to E-CBOT. I think I said CBOT's pit-traded but that's not correct. CQG doesn't handle pit-traded contracts. Electronic markets only.

#29     Jul 6, 2005
  10. I think you are paying very high commision, No one
    should accept more $1 roundturn broker commision.

I don't understand why poeple think IB is very cheap.

#30     Jul 6, 2005