Thoughts/feedback on parts/cost of new custom build workstation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmiles301, Jun 27, 2021.

1. I've had the same trading rig for the past 5-6 years now, and for the most part it runs fine but there are times when it seems to lag ever so slightly, so I've just started the research process of having a new one built and using my current one as a back-up.

I'm just wondering what other tech savvy folks think about the current components/cost associated with my first estimate. Do other components make more sense or are the current ones what you would have installed if you were building one now? Cost expensive? Things of that nature etc..

The video cards are not on there because I already have two new NVDA Quadro NVS 420 cards.

Keep in mind that I will only be using this computer for trading and basic internet stuff, I don't need anything fancy for gaming etc..

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your time.

jm

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

What software are you running?

3. traider

traider

AMD is very popular now
    64 GB memory will be best
    I have 32 and I don't feel like it's enough

RedSun likes this.
  4. Suggest not bothering with "building" one. Rather, buy one from one of the workstation makers... Dell, Lenovo, HP.

Suggest buying used workstations and save 75% of the cost of new. I like Dell T5810... lots of them available... any configuration you want. (Workstations are supposedly made with "server class parts"... should/could easily last 10 years. Buy one 3 years old and save big $$$.) However if you're intending to run W11, looks like your machine will have to be newer based upon Microsoft's initial guidelines.

Suggest getting new video cards. Your 420s are quite weak... only 512MB VRAM and a Passmark score of only 80.

Good luck.

jmiles301, vic38 and xandman like this.
  5. ph1l

ph1l

A Solid-State Drive (SSD) in addition to the hard drive (e.g., 256 GB) would help the system and applications boot a lot faster.

Also, with no graphics card and only 16GB memory in the build, and the price of $1,404 seems high. For example, I recently bought one of these (has a good graphics card) for $1,215 (before sales tax).

6. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

I would go for the SSD upgrades. Which unfortunately requires new Mother Boards for the upgraded "slot" they fit into (PCI 4x). Everything runs faster.

A new AMD or Intel chip is all one needs. The new Motherboard would use them. Even large back testing jobs will get done in a reasonable amount of time.

I switched to a gaming laptop because the builds are solid, built in power backup, network fall over from hardline to wifi cell.

7. @jmiles301 Trading servers are a great option, especially when the primary purpose is trading. Instead of committing upfront to buying a new expensive computer, you can get a co-located Chicago or NY server dedicated to running your trading workspace. We have purpose built servers specifically for lag free chart trading and running critical automated strategies 24/7.

Running all of your trading applications on your own server has many other benefits over a home computer:
    1. Trade on Mobile, Tablet, other PCs. A remote server allows you to run Windows Only applications on non Windows devices. Your trading workspace is on the server, enabling trading from Androids, iPhones, Tablets, Mac, other PCs. For example enter a trade on your PC and continue with the same trade on your phone.
    2. 100% Uptime, Never lose internet connection, Never miss a trade setup. If your home internet connection or router needs to be restarted, your trading workspace on the server is always connected to your broker and data feed. If you have a local PC or internet problem, instantly switch to trading on mobile without missing the trade setup.
    3. Optimize order fills and reduce slippage. By trading on co-located servers 1ms away from CME, you'll be prioritized in the order queue and increase returns by reducing order slippage.
    4. Automated Trading. Our servers are designed to run critical trading applications 24/7, allowing you to run your automated strategies.
    5. Simultaneously connect to the same brokerage account in multiple instances. For example use the server for live trading and connect to the same brokerage on local PC for testing new strategies.
    6. Protection against ransomware & viruses. A dedicated server environment for your trading workspace is separate from your personal computer. The server is protected by firewalls & antivirus, and can be quickly restored. If ransomware infects your personal computer, you can still earn income and trade on your dedicated server environment by remotely connecting to it with a different device.
    Our servers are also very handy for non-trading activities such as Excel Macros and running other Windows only applications, when you're at home or away from home. It is a full Windows PC in your pocket.

shuraver, cobco and wartrace like this.
  8. Whereabout do you shop for these? I don't see any on the Dell Outlet page atm, only some T5820's..

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlin...xdYjDhmjJQq5QrUnBHSsVbzEHl/vvn+zHW8ttRQjhvg==

9. Dell Outlet is a place to get an effectively new computer with a decent discount from MSRP, but you still pay a high price compared to buying used. T5810 is the prior model before the T5820.

Newegg usually has a large inventory of 3-yr old HP models. Model Z440 is HP's equivalent to Dell T5810.

I bought my T5810s off of eBay. Some sellers offer a warranty and you can always get Square Trade warranty for cheap if you care to. However if you get one without warranty the seller usually has a 30-90 day return policy. If you get it set up right away after you receive it and it runs for a couple of days without problems, you're probably good to go anyway. The workstations are generally very good about "lasting years". I fully expect mine to last at least 10 years from date of manufacture. I saved -80% off of original MSRP when I bought mine at 3-years old, which would be normal business lease period or if purchased instead of leased. 3-years would be the "100% write-down" depreciation period where they could then be sold at "salvage" to some company who wants to refurbish, as needed... then sell on eBay. Something like that is how Newegg always has a large supply of HP workstations in stock.

BTW... Dell workstations usually sell for less than HPs or Lenovo's for equivalent models.

Addendum...

I just did a quick check on eBay for T5810. Here's one fully equipped for trading with an adequate dual-port video card for $244.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284540573461

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    apdxyk and jmiles301 like this.
  10. Thank you for your detailed response, really appreciate it.

When you say "dual port video card" does that mean that that card can only handle 2x monitors?

I currently run 7 monitors, 4x NVS 420 2x FX 570 + 1 onboard

#10     Jan 17, 2022