Those Who Missed Shorting XLF, Are You as Depressed as Me?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by shortie, Apr 10, 2009.

When Will XLF Gap Fill?

1. Won't Fill for Months

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Partial Fill Within Weeks

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Complete Fill Within Weeks

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Partial Fill Within Days

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Complete Fill Within Days

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. My take is that we fill it immediately.
    The reason?
    Consider this chart:

Also look at $TRIN 10&20 DMA as well as $CPCE 10&20 DMA

All this suggests the medium term top has been put in place. IMVHO

#11     Apr 10, 2009
  2. IT WILL NEVER FILL! we are completely out of the woods. haven't any of you guys ever read stock trader??:D

#12     Apr 10, 2009
  3. Illum

Illum

The gap up after the Bernake put did not fill for almost 3 months

#13     Apr 10, 2009
  4. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Typically what I've found with the bigger gaps that are going to fill is that they will do so pretty quickly, often starting on the day they occur. Those that do not often go for months and sometimes years before they will fill.

That said if the XLF trades under the LOD established on Tuesday it will have a very high probability of filling that gap, and I'd short it myself then. At this point in time though the only action you could take in the short to intermediate term that has a valid edge is to sit aside and do nothing or go with the gap and thrust move higher.

Brandon

#14     Apr 10, 2009
  5. aradiel

aradiel

The first two are exhaustion gaps, while the friday one happened after a 20 days accumulation. Just something to consider.

#15     Apr 10, 2009
  6. it is hard for me to imagine how XLF can keep going higher after +80% move in one month (a historical advance). it has to take a rest at the very least. a perfect opportunity to fill the latest gap IMHO.

#16     Apr 11, 2009
  7. NoDoji

NoDoji

Shortie, I am very close to wiping out 30% of my YTD profits based on this kind of thinking. I am the first to admit that is a result of very poor risk management, but it the thinking you outline above that put me in a state of mind to allow the poor risk management. With that said, perhaps my stop will never be hit, the trade will continue to follow the new trend in my favor and I may even get out near break-even. But I assure you that as long as I am of sound mind and body, I will NEVER again trade on assumption or expectation.

Brandon, I like your technical analysis on this chart a lot. You are choosing a very safe short entry signal as opposed to the assumptive short entry sans signal.

All that said and done, the gap was a result of a piece of immediate good news (Wells Fargo, one of the most stable banks around, made money first quarter in an environment where you'd have to be functioning without a pulse to lose money as a bank), and have to agree with Shortie that this will indeed be a fantastic short. The factors affecting profitability are, as always, timing and risk management.

#17     Apr 11, 2009
  8. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

So what, it was hard for the smartest people in the world would be looking the other way and let the entire financial system fall into shit.

Things that should be statistically impossible happen all the time in the stock market. Your going to go broke with a mindset like that.

I'm not saying not to trade on bias and opinion, I think you MUST have both to be effective, but I think your's is flawed and based on emotion and the crowd (ie 90% of the other traders your talking to agree with you that this is fucking stupid)

#18     Apr 11, 2009
  9. Excellent thread!

Banks would take this rally as an opportunity to raise money, and pay uncle sam. It will also be an opportunity for claiming leadership--- the first to pay would say I am the best. I would expect Goldman to be the first to play such a thing. It is all in the symbols. Who knows, Goldman may have started shorting in this rally their own shares, or the shares of others, which they can cover by issuing newly minted shares.

I would expect great earnings, followed immediately by some sort of public offerings from the likes of Goldman, Wells, etc.

I would place XLF near term top at around $11.20 or less. Friday's high is $10.70, which is in the neighborhood.

#19     Apr 11, 2009
  10. futures are pointing down. i have a feeling the market will dump big time on monday.

the short week made everyone confused, so they bought. monday is a good time for a reality check.

#20     Apr 12, 2009