"Those That Can, Do. Those That Can't, Teach."

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ByLoSellHi, May 7, 2007.

1. This thread wasn't intended to indict anyone on ET.

I was speaking to the proliferation of seminars, methodology software, etc., that one sees being promoted in the financial press.

#21     May 8, 2007
  2. Dont forget that teaching is risk free at times. instead of risking money in the market, a "guru" can earn maybe $40k from a packed hotel conference room on an all day seminar or even 2 day seminar. So even if they still trade heavily, it is a nice profit boost doing a seminar every other month or so.

#22     May 8, 2007

3. If he/she is a "guru," then wouldn't the risk be slight versus the reward? :D

I understand what you are saying, but unfortunately, in the grand scheme of things, the overwhelming majority of self-proclaimed trading gurus pedaling their wares are those who consistently lose in the markets. As such, they typically reduce themselves to unscrupulously scamming dreamers to offset their losses.

Those who have a workable method of averaging just 2-3 points a day from the market will own the bank. Those who can't, seem to show up on a web site selling "borrowed" indicators or someone else work.

Even though he isn't worried about where his next meal is coming from, Trump isn't thought of as a great businessman. But as you point out, it doesn't stop him doing seminars! Which goes to show, those who can, do.........those who can't, teach!!! :D

st

#23     May 8, 2007
  4. But I think you will find a lot of these guys trade through their 20s and 30s and then are tired of trading like that constantly. Also if they did blow up a few times then in their 40s where they might have families it is easier to hold 8 or 9 seminars a year and make 6 figures and trade casually.

For the top marketers (Fontanills, etc.) they can make as much holding seminars and have a nice steady income and tone down their stress levels.

That has to be why they charge like $3k for a 2 day seminar. Get 50 people to sign up and bam you got $150,000 in 2 days no stress lol...

#24     May 8, 2007
  5. squall

squall

Two words for you:

Chick Goslin.

He can do and he can teach.

Now that is one stand-up guy.

I learned a hell of alot from Stan Kroll, though I have never personally interacted with him (RIP). I read his books, but that in and of itself is a way of "teaching" in my opinion.

I have spoken with Chick many times and he really gone out of his way to help me.

#25     Jun 20, 2007
  6. squall

squall

I do agree with you unfortunately that those who are good teachers AND good traders are very few and far between.

Far more the exception than the rule that one can do both well. Alot of people have very good concepts for trading...but they just cannot TRADE well because they lack discipline and control, etc.....

kinda like those who are either astronomers or astronauts....rare to do both.

#26     Jun 20, 2007