This would not be a prop firm, but is it a good idea?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cashmoney69, Sep 24, 2006.

1. I think your all being a bit harsh on the idea, certainly comparing it to prop or similiar.
    I think it could work well, with some of the ideas on this thread already.

For example pizza, good net access, but I think the success of it would boil down to not so much the trading aspect, but good food, reasonably priced beverages, strippers, "private rooms'...................

And as maverick said himself, vegas is out, don's da man there.
    But I dont know he had those things in all his nationwide offices, so..........
    Trying to compare apples to , um , melons.

:D

#31     Sep 25, 2006
  2. toc

toc

as to what will work and what will skid off the plan cannot be said given that many really funny ideas have turned into success. but candidly this plan does not seem too promising. on equal footing as steve forbes running for white house.

#32     Sep 25, 2006
  3. zdreg

zdreg

steve forbes did a lousy job of explaining a terrific idea. your analogy is not valid.

#33     Sep 25, 2006
  4. I had a similar idea about 10 years ago...I even went so far as designing a Trader's Bus....like a mobile trading station....just come on in, put up your VISA card, and trade away. After my Compliance Officer got up off the floor when I told her about it, I figured ..."maybe not" LOL.

Then, since there is a new "coffee shop" drive through right in front of our building...while it was still bare, I thought I could set up full access to the web, and give discounts to all those who wanted to play poker online at Full Tilt Poker, our friends. Well, needless to say, another feigned heart attack from Diane the Compliance Officer, LOL.

Oh well, keep it simple....people want to trade from home for the most part. Computer cost $499, broadband is $49. No real need for web cafe, IMO.

Don

#34     Sep 25, 2006
  5. I have to agree with Don, why would I go to a Traders Cafe. For less than $2000 I can set up a system at home that will blow your stuff away. You would have to upgrade your workstations every six months, it would cost a fortune just to keep up.

#35     Sep 25, 2006
  6. I don't think the potential customers are people who can't afford a computer, but those who don't want to sit at home or in an office by themselves all the time.

#36     Sep 26, 2006
  7. I don't know how many of you have kids at home but having a office to do business at sure keeps my eye on the trade. I spread trade so planning and getting in with the best credit just means waiting around sometimes. Once the trade is placed I'm just watching paint dry and the front month options expire worthless.

I still work and my alerts are set up with TOS if certain price points are hit, either a trade needing to be adjusted or an entry point is ready. I have 2 other serious trading members, one in town and the other a few states away. Having meetings in person or via web keeps us grounded.

Renting a desk around other traders. Sure why not. Paying for an additional charge per contract etc., just to have a desk, no way.

Attached is a screen shot from the other day. Heading into Dec. Exp. with some last minute credit spreads.

• dec.jpg
      File size:
      140.9 KB
      Views:
    #37     Dec 9, 2006
  8. bump :)

#38     Feb 19, 2007
  9. GRECHA

GRECHA

[Then, since there is a new "coffee shop" drive through right in front of our building...while it was still bare, I thought I could set up full access to the web, and give discounts to all those who wanted to play poker online at Full Tilt Poker, our friends. Well, needless to say, another feigned heart attack from Diane the Compliance Officer, LOL.]...DON BRIGHT

I wouldn't mind seeing one of them "coffee shop's" up in canada with highspeed internet access to the latest online poker sites, stacked with the latest poker magazines, video's to rent, cigars, soda bevs and snacky chips and the above mentioned whatevers and optional head to head lan tournaments...all of this under the guise of "coffee shop/internet cafe" :) CM69 To that, i'd probably be a regular depending on who you've got manning the front desk.

Best trading

#39     Feb 19, 2007
  10. romik

romik

I wouldn't use it, coming from an entrepreneurial background I have little faith in the concept. Some ideas sound good in theory, but when you consider the practical side, it just doesn't sound beneficial enough. Gambling outlets work as people come in quickly, it takes very little time to make a bet & be on your way, trading requires quite a bit more time, I guess the main question is - where is the benefit?

#40     Feb 19, 2007