This Will Destroy eBay - Guaranteed

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by ByLoSellHi, Jan 24, 2007.

1. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

Women aren't equal to men. Nor are men equal to women. They're different.

Both have various strengths and weaknesses.

#11     Jan 24, 2007
  2. I think what Unforgiven means is that women are just as intelligent as men. In fact, I'd say their a bit more intelligent. Intelligence should be the object of comparison here...Nothing else.

#12     Jan 24, 2007
  3. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

Considering she's a billionare, she must have done something right where EBAY is concerned, no?

:)

I understood where Unforgiven was coming from. I just don't like unqualified PC-ish comments. We (as a nation) have gone crazy with this PC fluff.

#13     Jan 24, 2007
  4. Good point about Paypal. By the way, Paypal fees have skyrocketed from the time they initially started till they sold to Ebay. And then, once Ebay got a hold of them, they jacked up fees again.
    Ebay made a lot of self destructive mistakes around that time.

Their biggest flaw was that they went to large scale retailers and enticed em to sell on Ebay. They destroyed any margins for the small sellers and basically made pricing for new items the same as in the physical stores. Which kinda defeated the purpose of why Ebay was so great, the savings of e-commerce which benefited the buyers & the sellers. Nowdays, there is little cost advantage, the sellers just make money on shipping, the buyers save on tax (maybe) and exchange the chore of driving to the store for wait time of shipping.
    Of course, there are exceptions, such as sellers who started early on and hold quality relationships with wholesalers/distributors, those who get overstock and those who get their products the "five finger discount" way.

It's still useful for used items, since even with the absurd fees, it's all profit anyway. Personally, I used to be an avid user but have not touched Ebay in at least 3 years.

I don't think Ebay is going anywhere but their best days are long behind em. I have not seen any effort by EBAY to innovate or improve in years either, seems like they just don't care. Maybe the CEO is too busy decorating her office and scheduling sexual harassment classes.

#14     Jan 24, 2007
  5. In bsmeter's defense, he probably has had some women bosses. While there are some awesome female bosses, most of them, by far, would drive you insane with some of the most ridiculous bullsh*t. Besides running the company like crap.

And you will get your female president with Hillary Clinton. Although she is more of a man than Bill Clinton is, she actually scares me a bit. Plus, I know she is full of crap, she is a politician to the core.

#15     Jan 24, 2007
  6. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

Agreed 100%.

I still have an ebay account. I used it to sell my "vintage" electronic gear every now and again. I also use it to buy computer parts that are obsolete.

Recently I've been selling things on Amazon.com (marketplace). Far better terms and nearly as good exposure as EBAY. I've sold everything I've listed.

When I buy off Amazon, I find better prices and lower shipping. Ebay's "wild west" define-your-own-shipping is what will hurt ebay in the long run. Sellers often inflate the shipping to compensate for listing fees and in some cases the final value + paypal fee.

EBAY is thinking like a monopoly. All the while failing to notice that they are slowly becoming a niche player. As you said, for hawking used items and collectibles.

#16     Jan 24, 2007
  7. This thread sounds like a collection of the rejects who were calling GOOG overpriced at 120, 200, 250, 300, etc.

Trading based on what you 'think' should happen is a fast way to the poor house.

Many of you no doubt already reside there.

#17     Jan 25, 2007
  8. LOL:D

#18     Jan 25, 2007
  9. I put up with it cuz it's still cheaper than a newspaper with a nationwide audience. No way I could've sold half the stuff I had from a newspaper.

#19     Jan 25, 2007
  10. The stock has been in a downtrend for 2 years, wtf are you talking about? All of these issues have been known for years, so it seems like those who "thought" of em, have been selling the stock and/or shorting it.

Stick to Cramer idolizing, this stuff is too complicated for you.

#20     Jan 25, 2007