this thread has the potential to change your life

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gordon Gekko, Jul 21, 2006.

1. MRWSM

MRWSM

No free will so no punishment for crimes? I guess I can live with that as long as the same applies to my no free will when I use my pre-determined right to defend myself and blow the perp away.

#41     Jul 27, 2006
  2. just to be clear, self defense and punishment are not always the same thing, obviously.

if someone broke into your house, i would absolutely say defend yourself, family, and property pretty much any way you have to. if he happens to get killed in the process that's his problem.

HOWEVER, if he were arrested by the police and such, having him sit in prison for 10 years just to give him his punishment and make him suffer is just wrong and unnecessary, imo.

#42     Jul 27, 2006
  3. TGregg

TGregg

So if I broke into your house, stole all your stuff, raped your 12 year old daughter and 9 year old son and set your spouse on fire, you'd be saying "Please your Honor, no punishment for TGregg!"

?

#43     Jul 28, 2006
  4. TGregg

TGregg

You would not see it that way, seeing as how you are hampered by a lack of free will. :D

How can one possibly decide that the punishment they formally thought their dog deserved is now incorrect? The owner has no free will, according to you. There is no way to make him choose one thing over another, he cannot make a decision at all - he has no free will. It's hilarious to say that there is no free will and here's what we need to do about it.

#44     Jul 28, 2006