This thread contains the best Quant Humor of All Time.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bwolinsky, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Was there something wrong with the picture? You must like kissing ass. What is lost on so many is that my private conferences are private. Find talk of any specific client. There isn't any.

You know, it's funny, I think the rest of my family has normal IQ's as well.

#21     Apr 7, 2010
  2. Well then clearly it's an issue of recessive genes... unless maybe you were dropped (a lot) as a child?

#22     Apr 7, 2010
  3. OR BS degrees from West Central Kentucky State U!

"Go 'Shiners!" "Push 'em back, push 'em back WAYYY BACK!..." :D

#23     Apr 7, 2010
  4. Touche,

I remember the highest grade I ever received on any exam was the second calculus II test. It was 97.5 as well. Still got it, may need to scan it in just to prove how stupid you guys are. My challenges were only academic, as I fundamentally rejected broad based education but found that there is only so much college can teach you until you decide to sit down and actually learn something about finance.

Trust me, it's worth it. The models start coming after that, and you'll be lucky to have a couple good ones during your lifetime.

#24     Apr 7, 2010
  5. A) Can you please define "good ones"? What do you mean when you say a good model?

B) I think you are misusing Touche. Please google it and check how the word is actually used.

C) In my mind, I associate the word douche (sometimes douchbag, sometimes just douche) with you BoWo. Funny how much Touche looks like Douche, isn't it?

#25     Apr 7, 2010

6. Beau,

Was that a real calculus test, or was it a simulated one? Sure - lets see it.

Here's my advice: maybe if you showed that calc test to your potential clients they'd have more respect for your financial science-isting? Like you said, people without a CFA L1 won't understand how brilliant you are, so, you should frame that copy of that calculus test and hang it next to your college degree. That will really impress people when they come into your office.

Wait, you've never recieved a 100% on anything? Ever? I'm disappointed to say the least... someone with your intelligence should be getting a 100% on everything. Where's the disconnect?

#26     Apr 8, 2010
  7. well he went to school in Kentucky... but I am still trying to figure out how he would get a decent grade on something that did not involve eating... I have an idea though.

BoWo did the test have questions like these?

A) Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a tree that will support a 10-pound possum.

B) A woodcutter has a chainsaw which operates at 2700 RPM. The density of the pine trees in the plot to be harvested is 470 trees per acre. The plot is 23 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How many Budweisers will it take to cut the trees down?

C) A man owns a house and 3.7 acres of land in a holler with an average land slope of 15%. The man has five children. Can each of his grown children park a mobile home on the man's land, and still have enough room on the property for their electric appliances to sit out front?

D) A 2-ton truck is overloaded and proceedin' 900 yards down a steep slope on a secondary road at 45 MPH. The brakes fail. Given average traffic conditions on secondary roads, what is the probability that the truck will strike a vehicle with a muffler?

If so... that wasn't really Calculus just so you know...

#27     Apr 8, 2010
  8. It has been a while since there has been any activity in this thread, and, in an effort to potentially help someone who, quite possibly cannot be helped, I've decided to re-hash some of the bowo dialogues.

As many of you are familiar, Bowo is a frequent poster here. He's pitched his "pairs trading" system on several threads, and often refers to himself as "the best quant developer around".

Over the last couple years, despite some honest (albeit mocking) intervention, Bowo has remained stubborn and has managed to completely detach from the reality of his own shortfalls. The system below, as evidenced by the lack of backtest to real world consistency, highlights some of the very serious pitfalls associated with system development.

http://preview.collective2.com/cgi-perl/c2systems.mpl?systemid=44396934

http://covestor.com/beau-wolinsky/track-record

The link is a fine example of what not to do. However, I believe that one can learn so much more from failure, hence I'd like to engage Bowo (he likely has me on ignore) and some of the other posters here who have followed this dramatic novella over the years.

Bowo is still young, he can still change, I think...

So, with that said, this may provide an invaluable lesson to some of the newbs out there, and, in the process finally humble our dear Bowo and get him on the track towards profitability.

The truth is, in some ways I actually respect Bowo, he puts himself out there... I think his problems stem largely from ego rather than smarts (I'm being generous there...).

1. Can this ego be overcome?

2. What will it take to get Bowo to actually admit that something is seriously wrong with his development process?

3. Can Bowo actually ever admit that he was wrong and will he ever listen to the numerous posters (specifically Talon) who have provided Bowo with invaluable feedback and advice?

Some may ask what's the point... well, largely its entertainment, but, revisiting some of the ideas we've touched on in the past will shine a light on this particular systems flaws from a purely mathematical standpoint.

Second, and perhaps of most interest to me, is Bowo's psychological makeup. I believe that just about anyone can be taught to trade well, but, its that person's own behavioral issues that will always get in the way. Bowo has quite a list of behavioral roadblocks and I'd like to think they can be overcome... I guess we'll have to see, as much as the optimist in me wants to see him grow, can Bowo actually change?

#28     Jul 5, 2010
  9. Watching with some interest. :)

FWIW, I don't think anyone can be taught to trade. I have taught people from diverse backgrounds (you wouldn't believe how diverse), and I do think it's fair to say that what people think are important qualities and traits may not be... but stubbornness and not being open to correcting your faults are career ending qualities.

BoWo obviously comes from the school of thought that says that positive self talk in the key to success, so I think that's where a lot of his BS comes from... oh well, we'll see if the best system developer in the world can spare a few minutes to comment on this thread he started.

#29     Jul 5, 2010
  10. nkhoi

nkhoi

not until his system outperforms sp500

#30     Jul 5, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.