This Sums up ETers Perfectly - Doug Kass

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by hairdresser, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Kass: The Perma-Bear Cult

"An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while a pessimist sees only the red stoplight.... The truly wise person is colorblind."
    -- Dr. Albert Schweitzer

I have often written that both perma-bears and perma-bulls are attention-getters, not money-makers.
    The perma-bear cult, of which I have often been accused of being a member, is an especially strange clique that often sees the clandestine plunge protection teams saving the U.S. stock market at critical points. They have never met a government statistic they like but instead see the U.S. government as "massaging" and revising employment, inflation and many other economic statistics in order to paint a positive picture. They express contempt for second derivative economic improvement and never or rarely ever see prosperity. They view seeds of recovery as Superman saw Kryptonite and extrapolate economic/stock market weakness to the extreme.
    And they never ever or rarely make money.
    Ironically, the perma-bear crowd is typically uninhabited by money managers. For example, the largest and highest profile short seller, Kynikos' Jim Chanos, is not a perma-bear. Jim systematically searches for broken or breaking business models, and he understands market and company-specific risk/reward. Nor was my friend/buddy/pal David Rocker a perma-bear. He, too (before he retired from Rocker Partners), identified adverse secular changes facing companies and, similar to Jim Chanos, had an uncanny ability to unearth frauds like Baldwin United, Enron and Lernout and Hauspie (among many others).
    Rather than managing money, the perma-bear crowd is typically inhabited by writers of market letters, investment strategists and economists turned strategists, all of whom have little or no skin in the game. They also make a lot of speeches during downturns for a helluva lot of money and often write editorials in the Financial Times, New York Times and Wall Street Journal.
    The perma-bear species is a fickle breed, especially in its ardor for purging from its ranks anyone who breaks the faith. Woe betide a former perma-bear deemed less bearish!
    In summary, perma-bears, similar to their first cousin perma-bulls, rarely make money and, in the main, shouldn't be listened to most of the time as even when they call a downturn, they almost always overstay their positions.
    And they may be harmful to your financial health.

2. You must read this. It will stop a lot of pain.

3. Its like a mirror, noone wants to look at.

4. Seriously this is a must read for everyone here.

5. Hairdresser you're MISSING THE MOST IMPORTANT PART. doug kass who chides bears now has been one of the most bearish people on wall street and a short seller the last 10 years AND HAS HAS HIS ASS KILLED. he was shorting gs at $70 in 2004 and got destroyed and he shorted home builders 2 times in 2004 and 2005 and lost massive. he's simply a bear that got lucky and made money 1 time out of 50 and now he covered way too early in mid 2008 and has been talking his long book every since. THATS THE REAL STORY.tell us about his famous buy of citi at $20 last year. he begged all to buy

6. He's good and successful.

2 attributes that will attract a lot of haters here.

I thought u would like that he was bearish.

7. I posted this article a while back when it first came out...search for the thread if you want comments on it.

8. Can you cut and paste it, would be interested to see it.

Thanks,

Hairdresser

9. hairdresser, two questions:

1) Why are 90% of the responses in your threads your own?

2) Why did you choose the handle 'hairdresser?'

Thank you

Signed,

Could give a shit, but wanted to annoy you in return.