This sucks

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ElectricSavant, May 1, 2006.

1. Just got back from the gym.

I was pushing the yield and s t r e t c h i n g my risk. I thought I was invincible...the trouble is I am not new to this and I know better.

Last month was the biggest loss I have had in my personal trading and the second margin call of my Forex trading since I began in July 2004.

What I learned...well...I cut my risk in half..then in half again and settle for 20-48% yield. This experience allowed me to "open it up" to learn what I can do.

Michael B.

#71     Aug 26, 2006
  2. He He..I know. I am just trading my system now and the 8k is forgotten...Actually I believe this attitude is essential for a trader to become a pro.

There are certain attributes needed in a traders mentality and 8k is nothing anyways...This is a larger number game...

I know guys that consider 8k just a single trade...shoot if I am ever going to get with the 'big guys" I will need to learn about numbers.

#72     Aug 26, 2006
  3. ak15

ak15

No, I wasn't referring to you.

#73     Aug 26, 2006
  4. but what happened if u dont mind tellin' us...did u blow it with just one trade on 1 pair? did u carry your pos overnite and let it run against u 'till the point of no return? i'm not here to bash u, am just interest in hearin' more about it.

#74     Aug 26, 2006
  5. I scalp...but I also can carry overnight. without revealing my system this trade lasted for 3 weeks! I could not trade my way out of it and the hedge stopped anti correlating...When that happened I knew I was screwed and the funny thing is the trade came back to me a week later after I got the margin call...

You will notice a thread I posted here for some people to make money on..it was "How about that GBP/CHF"...I called the short perfectly...I knew it was way way overheated after the BOE hike, because my system told me it was...

#75     Aug 26, 2006
  6. Mr Olsen one of the two academic founders at Oanda, said it correctly in an interview:

"Most retail traders commit to heavily in the entry"...

#76     Aug 26, 2006
  7. I believe Retail Forex is a "trade of scale"

ElectricSavant

#77     Aug 26, 2006
  8. I think mschey said it best in another thread...

What I find that's silly, is that you can't figure out the cost of being too conservative, you had better spend some more time studying money management and geometric growth functions.

#78     Aug 26, 2006
  9. I think the prerequisite to be a discretionary, pro trader is:
    • Trade a lot..repetition...repetion...repetition... Maybe we can call it repe-tuition
    • Win
    • Lose
    • Feel
    • Get used to the "Feel" and find the limits..push push push..

#79     Aug 26, 2006
  10. You might find this helpful

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25425&perpage=6&pagenumber=4

#80     Aug 28, 2006