This might give Greenspan pause in hiking rates

Discussion in 'Economics' started by rawman74, Apr 21, 2004.

1. jrs3

jrs3

Of coarse the US would never manipulate its currency.

#31     Apr 22, 2004
  2. #32     Apr 22, 2004
  3. In FED's parliance it's only "regulation" :D.

#33     Apr 22, 2004

4. Well, you need to be massively skilled, witty, good looking and a charmer like me.

Or you can just go to http://fx.sauder.ubc.ca/plot.html

#34     Apr 22, 2004
  5. jrs3

jrs3

Thanks!

#35     Apr 22, 2004
  6. get a clue...

#36     Apr 22, 2004
  7. waggie isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.....

#37     Apr 22, 2004
  8. So nice to see you again.
    I guess Baron missed this particular alias of yours, but now that I have it . . . I will definitely pass it along to Baron.

It's kind of like exterminating rodents.
    One by one.

:D

#38     Apr 22, 2004
  9. lrm21

lrm21

Pretty grim outlooks here regarding G-Money.

I don't know not a big fan of gov. intervention but you can't argue with 17 yrs of prosperity and 5.9% unemployment rate at the peak during the recent crash. If you told someone in the 80's that we would have 5.9% unemployment during a crash they would've spit there cosmopolitan in your face.

It's amazing how bearish these boards have been the last few months. Climbing a wall of worry. Keep it coming.

Regarding Outsourcing, I can't believe so called cold blooded capitalists are calling for protectionism. Can't cheat the market want a quick way to a recession/depression try protectionism it's what we did in 1929.

""The Demise of Trade

The leading industrialized nations responded to the crisis (1929 Crash ) by imposing trade barriers on imports with the hopes of increasing demand for domestically produced goods and to raise revenue from tariffs. "Concerns about low agricultural prices, an influx of imports, rising unemployment, and declining tax revenue generated public sentiment for trade restraints." The Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act of June 17, 1930 responded by raising tariffs by up to 50% on a wide range of goods. Unfortunately, the resulting fall in imports created unemployment abroad that quickly invoked protectionism in response, creating unemployment back in the US!

Ironically, even though tariff rates rose by up to 50%, imports declined so sharply that tariff revenues fell 46% from $602 million in 1929 to $328 million in 1932. This not to mention the loss of tax revenue from the domestic unemployment the tariffs caused indirectly""

source:http://www.shambhala.org/business/goldocean/causdep.html

#39     Apr 22, 2004
  10. I think there are still people who still don't understand that DEBT has to be REPAID??

sooner of later, the whole credit bubble is going to burst and it ain't going to be pretty. Mass bankruptcies, depression and high unemployment.

greenspan is pro-longing it.

As for the argument that greenspan is not responsible because the consumer blah blah..

damn, of course he is responsible. if something is cheap, you use more of it, similar with money, by making money so cheap(1%!!!), people spend so much of it and forget that it has to be repaid. NOT the other way round....

do u think the current situation can last forever??

#40     Apr 23, 2004