This might be caused by Java security issue.

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by oraclewizard77, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Youtube stopped working due to I believe the adobe flash player. When clicking on error message, it stated this could be caused by not having the latest versions of flash and/or java.

To resolve the issue, I uninstalled all adobe products including reader, flash, and air, and shockwave. I also cleared my cache.

I 1st reinstalled flash, but still nothing worked.

I then went to java site, and installed latest version of java. After it was installed I had to select enable the run time.

After that, everything worked again. I normally only update flash player, but this happened after I updated reader. However, maybe it was just that java was being blocked since I had an older version.

2. I was watching a security show on ROKU, they said that Java and Flash account for a large portion of flaws.

I browse with Chrome and keep Firefox handy because I run into problems all the time... if both of those don't work then I assume the trouble is not on my end.

Probably it's time to wipe the hdd and reinstall everything from the ground up. I do that every so often. I can do the whole thing in a couple of hours while reading a book...

3. a full wipe is the last refuge of the ignorant.

i have too many installed apps and customizations to do that more than once every 5 or more years.

and usually when upgrading op systems to boot.

a well maintained Win7 box should never need to be reinstalled.

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Usually when youtube doesn't work for me it's because the browser's Flash Player plugin has crashed. But I have also had problems with youtube right after a browser version upgrade as well. I usually use Chrome but when it acts up, I go back to Safari.