This market is WEAK!!!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Comanche, Aug 24, 2007.

1. You could say every correction/dip/sell off (call it what you want) in the last 4 years had high volume sell offs and low volume bounces.

I don't think you can gain any insights from these facts at this point. All bounces will be low volume because nobody trusts them.

#11     Aug 24, 2007
  2. Well sure you see things differently, how about another Pabst?

#12     Aug 24, 2007
  3. I think buying thursday's dip was really the only think you could've done intraday as a bull to make $$ in this market. Otherwise, much agreed, there hasn't been much buying to work for the bulls intraday.

#13     Aug 24, 2007
  4. "this market is wierd, it sells off hard on volume, but then rallys on light volume. Now normally that would be bearish (but at least until now) it just keeps going up on light volume. Perhaps its changing but very strange action."

read the frigging tape

retail traders are shorting the lows (which is almost always a bad idea) and getting stopped out on the snapper rallies.

putcall tells the story too. retail is doing the obvious thing. the obvious thing almost never works.

#14     Aug 24, 2007
  5. My take exactly.

#15     Aug 24, 2007
  6. No more volatility case no more subprime liquidity stories. No more hedge funds going under. No more credit crunch.

#16     Aug 24, 2007
  7. Funny how people see it differently. I don't see trapped shorts, >95% of the market is long, so I see better prices for 95% of equity traders that didn't sell the first time down.

Where is there more pain in 100 shares, the 95 longs that are vulnerable to a sell-off, or the 5 shorts that are vulnerable to a rally?

That is why there is larger volume on sell-offs, it isn't guys getting short, it is longs liquidating.

#17     Aug 24, 2007
  8. You're making a mistake in market mechanics.

A fund manager who became under invested at lower prices is a de facto short. In other words his next market action is that of a buyer. On the other hand there's many long term holders selling into this rally.

I'm a seller in the 80's and 90's. With contracting volatility, pressing 63's or some shit price like that is a low prob trade in my estimation.

#18     Aug 24, 2007
  9. According to that theory, how are we ever going to see big volume on up days?

#19     Aug 24, 2007
  10. You raely match big volumes on up days with down days. Purely by risk and structure.

#20     Aug 24, 2007