"This is without precedent in U.S. history"

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Sep 22, 2009.

1. achilles28

achilles28

And you provided nicely for your family. Right?

Thanks for proving my point.

#31     Sep 22, 2009
  2. the1

the1

Don't forget the new SUV instead of the 5 year old volkswagon - a cheap volkswagon. When I was a kid we had one bread winner but there were times when we ate beans and toast, sometimes just toast. And my parents owned used cars. When the kids moved out the folks bought a new car and went on vacations. Today it's the McMansion, the SUV, the mini-van, and then the sports car for Sundays. After all that people park their arses in front of their 60" wide screen. We had none of this shit when I was a kid. It's not like that today.

#32     Sep 22, 2009
  3. achilles28

achilles28

Yea, and its all financed by DEBT.

Very little of it is actual equity or legitimate ownership.

I guess that's why people buy-into the illusion of prosperity through financing. It looks good.

Also consider that '85 Ford lasts for 20 years. While that POS Jeep or Ford SUV will be in the yard after 120,000 Miles.

#33     Sep 22, 2009
  4. piezoe

piezoe

ByLo, next time would you mind waiting until after the cocktail hour to bring this stuff up?

#34     Sep 22, 2009
  5. achilles28

achilles28

The BLS uses deflationary standard-of-living metrics. But not inflationary. That's the point.

If I buy a 32 inch flat screen for a 40% premium over the old 24 inch CRT, its a net wash....or DEFLATIONARY (cause I get more "Value"). I don't even watch TV, btw.

But when a consumer wants to buy steak that used to be affordable on a fixed income, and they downgrade to hamburger (or a cheap new car, to used), that's not inflationary. That's the point.

They take only the "good" (deflationary) stats and discard the "bad" (inflationary) stats, which radically distorts income (current and historical) and GDP. Which is what this whole thread is about.

But hey, who cares. If we got credit cards, everything is great.

#35     Sep 22, 2009
  6. achilles28

achilles28

Are you making the argument product quality today, is better than it was 50 years ago?

Cars are built cheaper, breakdown and fall-apart faster, than ever before!! A Ford or Chrysler from the 60's lasted 20 YEARS. Nowadays, a POS Jeep or GM might last 120K miles. Its a joke!

Construction costs are down. But so are quality (and quantity) of materials used. Builders scrimp on lumber, labor, and often use the cheapest fixtures.

Most of the stuff in Walmart - even appliances - won't last 2 years. Air conditioners, washer dryers, microwaves - break down religiously. Warranties are now 12 MONTHS, across the board. Standard was 5, 10, 20 YEARS for appliances, furnishings, even TV's!

Engineered obsolesce is the new paradigm. What appears like cheaper abundance, is really just low-quality crap financed with consumer debt!! Its an illusion.

Nothing is built to last. Soles on shoes wear out after a year. Holes develop in clothes quick. Ever notice the premium stitch-work on "quality" Made-In-China mens-shirts and buttons? Fall off after a couple wears. Stray threads all over the place.

Affordability is way up. But quality is way down. Lets not fool ourselves.

So how does the BLS factor THAT into its inflation stats....??

They Don't. The lower price-tag is all they look at (net-deflationary effect).

Sure clothes were more expensive back in the day. Probably cars, too. But THEY LASTED.

Buying a good quality shirt lasts 5 times as long as the Made In China crap that costs half as much.

Its cheaper to buy quality in the long-run.

We don't see businesses investing in crap equipment or machines, do we? Why aren't they buying the newest, and "hottest" machines every 3 years when old faithful that printed dollars for 20 years, kicks the can??? haha.

#36     Sep 22, 2009
  7. Don't feel bad your grandparents dined on soup and crackers while mine ate sirloin. Its the free market, bud.
    --------------------------------------------
    First I thought your pontifications without proper references were just a symptom of your lack of education.

But now I think that your psychological problem is much deeper than that.

The fact that you would bring my parents into this matter is about as low as you can get.

By the way, did I mention that my parents owned a restaurant. They ate anything that they wanted, you stupid jerk.

#37     Sep 22, 2009
  8. achilles28

achilles28

Don't throw stones in a glass house, bud.

You picked a fight, so I fought.

Sorry for your loss, btw.

#38     Sep 22, 2009
  9. You are pathetic.

#39     Sep 22, 2009

10. Yes, yes and YES!

Not to mention the lack of satisfaction that goes into making this crap. This is why most folks are miserable and don't even know why...

#40     Sep 22, 2009