This is why if Huckabee were to be president, we would truly be a theocracy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, Mar 4, 2011.

1. (Huckabee is a preacher first, a politician second. His new ministry is now politics, and the agenda is purely religious. These types of people oppose having a secular government.)

Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee compared abortion to slavery while speaking at a fundraiser for an anti-abortion group on Monday night, the University of Tennessee's Daily Beacon reports.

"It was wrong to own a slave in Mississippi and Michigan," explained the potential 2012 presidential contender on the thought of the issue being addressed on the state level. "This is not a states issue."

The remarks from Huckabee came in the event's keynote speech. The fundraiser was held for the Center for Bioethical Reform at the Knoxville Convention Center.

Tennessee-based station WBIR reports that Huckabee described abortion as an issue that "transcends all" political issues." According to the local outlet, he said, "I often said I would gladly lose an election before I would ever yield on the issue of the sanctity of human life."

WBIR reports that protesters demonstrated outside the event because "the Center for Bio-Ethical Reform is known for posting images of aborted fetuses on the UT campus as part of its anti-abortion campaign."

In March of 2009, Huckabee also delivered a speech to an anti-abortion group in which he compared abortion to slavery. The AP reported at the time:

Huckabee said that when it abolished slavery, the U.S. debated and decided it was immoral for one person to have complete, life-or-death power over another. He said that should not change whether the control involves racial bigotry or a pregnant woman making a decision for her unborn child.

"What are we saying to the generation coming after us when we tell them that it is perfectly OK for one person to own another human being?" Huckabee said. "I thought we dealt with that 150 years ago when the issue of slavery was finally settled in this country, and we decided that it no longer was a political issue, it wasn't an issue of geography, it was an issue of morality. That it was either right or it was immoral that one person could own another human being and have full control even to the point of life and death over that other human being."

2. What if most Americans want a theocracy? Will you accept or go back to India?

3. Huckabee isn't serious about running for President he just likes being in a parade. ( ..lifted from a poster named doodah in the Charlie Rose comments) with Das Newt.

4. I would accept it, as long as freedom of religion were still in play.

Israel is a "Jewish" nation, but many of the "Jews" are not practicing the "Jewish" religion.

Actually, if the majority of Christians actually behaved as if they were following the loving and peaceful teachings of Christ, America would probably be much better off...

I have no problem with the Mennonites doing their thing, or the Amish doing their thing, or any other group doing their thing...as long as they are not forcing their religious beliefs onto me. The Mennonites and Amish tend to be apolitical, as they are more interested in the spiritual aspect of religion rather than the political aspect of religion that want to control the lives of others.

Our country was founded on freedom of religion, and if that were to change, then I think America would no longer exist in any manner tied to the founders.

Never been to India, so going back is not in play.

5. You accept some of their forced beliefs on you. Specifically "Thou shall not kill and Thou shall not steal"

6. What are the key issues for the religious right?

Abortion, gay marriage, etc.

I don't see how that would impact me.

I am actually opposed to abortion...but I am also in favor of a woman's right to choose abortion up to the point of genuine viability of a fetus.

Would the theocrats stop at abortion and gay marriage, etc.?

That's a question I can't answer, I can only hope they don't would not become a mirror image of Islamic theocracies.

7. Maverick74

Maverick74

A theocracy? Nope...no hyperbole there. LOL. Zzz, if you only knew how much you have in common with the far right in this country. Obama is a communist...Huckabee would rule a theocracy. LOL. .

8. I find it amusing that a return to principles that served our country well for most of its history are now vilified as a "theocracy."

Does anyone really believe we are on the right path now? We have the government basically encouraging teen girls to become single mothers. We have the president openly defying a duly enacted law signed by Bill Clinton, DOMA, to advance the radical gay agenda. We have the president and his union controllers trying to stage an insurrection in Wisconsin because they dislike the results of an election.

We have the president using the full force of the federal government to punish a state, Arizona, because it objected to the government's failure to enforce immigration laws.

We have run up more debt in two years than in the combined previous 235 years of our country's existence.

We have watched our manufacturing base go to China, which funds our deficits, for now.

Our cities are almost uniform in featuring large underclasses lving off the government, public education that is a miserable joke, local officials who treat corruption as a perk of office and infrastructure that is falling apart.

But by all means, let's get worked up about a possible theocracy.

9. Lucrum

Lucrum

Well said.

10. The country was not founded on unbridled greed.

Return to the days of yore and remove the greed element?

Fat chance...unless the left wins the fight.

#10     Mar 4, 2011