"This is the worst case of insider trading ever."

Discussion in 'Trading' started by trader556, Sep 15, 2003.

1. ...if anyone here has a bloomberg machine, it'd be easy to find out...

actually, the quote.com feed used to show T&S for options, but this may be way too long ago...

#21     Sep 16, 2003

2. hmm...never would've imagined seeing you in a conspiracy forum, harry.

how's it going? still sniffing glue?

#22     Sep 16, 2003
  3. that happens constantly in any city...

if i were arabic, i would've left town after 9/11 as well...lotsa hate crimes (esp in schools and against arabic-owned restaurants) after 9/11...

#23     Sep 16, 2003

4. Maybe. But it seems a little strange to leave your home of years, surrounded by friendly neighbors and family? Very rash decision don`t you think?

#24     Sep 16, 2003
  5. still awaiting proof of the allegations made.....

best,

surfer

#25     Sep 16, 2003
  6. NKNY

NKNY

I have heard the same thing coming from friends of mine from Greece. apparently , Greeks and europeans as a whole are very big on conspiracy theories. My thoughts on the issue...? Hey , you really never know who knew and let it happen...but more importantly....why let it happen. Who profited from it and who is still profiting from it.

#26     Sep 16, 2003
  7. I think this is the easiest question. The authors or Pax-Americana and other current occupants of the White House had already drafted plans for large scale war including invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq before 9/11. They were just waiting for the spark.....

#27     Sep 16, 2003
  8. taodr

taodr

Robinson, Do you have a link to this information ?

#28     Sep 16, 2003
  9. Between September 6 and 7, the Chicago Board Options Exchange saw purchases of 4,744 put options on United Airlines, but only 396 call options. Although there was no news at that time to justify so much "left-handed" trading, United Airlines stock fell 42 percent, from $30.82 per share to $17.50, when the market reopened after the attacks. Assuming that 4,000 of the options were bought by people with advance knowledge of the imminent attacks, these "insiders" would have profited by almost $5 million.

On September 10, 4,516 put options on American Airlines were bought on the Chicago exchange, compared to only 748 calls. Again, there was no news at that point to justify this imbalance; but American Airlines stock fell 39 percent, from $29.70 to $18.00 per share, when the market reopened. Again, assuming that 4,000 of these options trades represent "insiders," they would represent a gain of about $4 million.

No similar trading in other airlines occurred on the Chicago exchange in the days immediately preceding Black Tuesday.
    Morgan Stanley Dean Witter & Co., which occupied 22 floors of the World Trade Center, saw 2,157 of its October $45.00 put options bought in the three trading days before Black Tuesday; this compares to an average of 27 contracts per day before September 6. Morgan Stanley's share price fell from $48.90 to $42.50 in the aftermath of the attacks. Assuming that 2,000 of these options contracts were bought based upon knowledge of the approaching attacks, their purchasers could have profited by at least $1.2 million.

Merrill Lynch & Co., with headquarters near the Twin Towers, saw 12,215 October $45.00 put options bought in the four trading days before the attacks; the previous average volume in these options had been 252 contracts per day. When trading resumed, Merrill's shares fell from $46.88 to $41.50; assuming that 11,000 option contracts were bought by "insiders," their profit would have been about $5.5 million.

http://www.ict.org.il/

use search and enter "Black Tuesday"

#29     Sep 16, 2003
  10. 9/11 was the best thing that ever happened to GW Bush...

i'm sure george orwell rolled in his grave...

#30     Sep 16, 2003