This is one of those days I hate...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Ivanovich, Jan 31, 2008.

1. samus

samus

On days like today, I use my usual setups but will put on 1/4 of my usual position and extend my stop loss so I don't get whipped out. It seems to be working... but it still ain't easy. This kind of trading sucks, but it's what we've got, so play the hand thats dealt.

#11     Jan 31, 2008
  2. gobar

gobar

thats y i bought march bidu put and call

+ goog earning will make it interesting...

#12     Jan 31, 2008
  3. Who is buying this rally? I would be selling into the strength.

#13     Jan 31, 2008

4. I am - I have been all day at the pivots
    worked well today
    :)

#14     Jan 31, 2008
  5. S2007S

S2007S

another big turn around today, dow opens down 180 then gaps up huge...

if googles earnings are great and job numbers are perfect expect 12850+ very soon....im still not anticipating any move to 14k anytime soon.

#15     Jan 31, 2008
  6. Thanks for once again telling all of us what we already know . . .
    Are you "practicing" for a reporting job on CNBC?
    :D

#16     Jan 31, 2008
  7. MKTrader

MKTrader

Historically, a negative Fed day (whether cut, hike or hold) is followed by a positive one. And vice versa.

I wouldn't be surprised by a "good" NFP number. Good being anything above the pathetic expectation 65,000. Yeah, what a sound economy. Let's party like it's 1999.

And Google? Internet and ecommerce stocks seem to be among the best right now. So strong earnings wouldn't surprise me. Guidance will be a little more iffy.

But can this continue into next week? That's the real test. The econ data was so awful last month, that we'll probably see month-over-month improvements. But the trend is still down. Today's Chicago PMI is a good example.

#17     Jan 31, 2008

8. Just for grins and giggles I bought 500 shares of Cisco today -- prior to the google earnings
    Cisco very very frequently runs up in the 8 days before its own earnings report --- and if goog meets expectations that pattern may hold for cisco

#18     Jan 31, 2008
  9. What the hell are you guys talking about? the market has gone up with a straight slope practically. You should be KILLING it, we don't get too many of these days. Scalps, intraday holds, whatever, money should be coming in.

This week Monday was a day that is more difficult to trade, with SP's contained in a tight range. Today was a gift.

RT

#19     Jan 31, 2008
  10. hajimow

hajimow

I thought GOOG does not give any guidance. I don't expect too much fluctuations for GOOG.

#20     Jan 31, 2008