this is my last day posting in et

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, sorry. So it wasn't a CATHOLIC priest. :D :p

Whatever kind of priest he was, Mr. South Dakota billionaire LOL!!!!

#41     May 23, 2011
  2. i am sure it would take far less than a billion.

#42     May 23, 2011
  3. You're just not comfortable with the fact that you don't have all the answers. I can live with that, because I'm not in denial.

I have heard theists and atheists both make very strong, well developed arguments to support their views. But guess what, they don't really KNOW either. I accept that both can be rational views to have, and that regardless of how rational or irrational, everyone has the right to their own personal beliefs.

However, I don't agree that it's safe to make general assumptions based on proven facts. If you do things like that, people call you a "racist", and there's nothing you can be that's worse than that.

#43     May 23, 2011
  4. "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

#44     May 23, 2011
  5. Of course I wouldn't expect a Russian fiction author to respect or even understand American respect for individualism.

People from autocratic nations like Russia think that having "though police" would be a good idea.

#45     May 23, 2011
  6. in america you can believe and defend superstition as much as you like. however you can not promote superstition on a public forum unchallenged.

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
    H. L. Mencken

#46     May 23, 2011
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

So the thread went from "this is my last day posting in et" to yet another religion bashing thread . Who could have known?

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."

Sir Winston Churchill

#47     May 23, 2011
  8. And where did I "promote superstition"? I have never done such. I have, however, defended everyone's right to their own opinion.

Seems as though your zealous hostility towards anyone who defends people's right to their own views is almost "religious". LMAO!!

BTW, I'm surprised to learn that someone like you is a Mencken fan.

http://www.hlmenckenclub.org/HL_Mencken_Club/About.html

The H.L. Mencken Club came into existence in 2008 as an organization for independent-minded intellectuals and academics of the Right.

The founders conceived of the organization as representative of the spirit of the “Sage of Baltimore,” Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956), the brilliant iconoclast, satirist and columnist who founded The American Mercury – a figure who questioned the egalitarian creed, siren calls for democratic crusades, and welfare statism with which American democracy was already identified during his lifetime.

#48     May 23, 2011
  9. stu

stu

.......but

[​IMG]

#49     May 23, 2011
  10. it is interesting that after what happened this weekend you would advocate that the more enlightened people keep silent. the mass delusion that was fed to people by harold camping destroyed a lot of lives. had atheists been more forceful maybe the endtimes delusion would not have been so widespread.
    the funny part is i have yet to hear a religious spokesman say the endtimes theory is nothing more than mythology. they all say harold camping was wrong about the time but jesus will return soon. the delusion continues.

#50     May 23, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.